Fields: What Are They Made Of?

• Thread starter Pjpic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Zz.So, when Wiki says that particles are "chunked ripples in the field"; they don't know what the ripples are in?Zz.No, they know what the ripples are, they're just not sure what makes them up. In the context of fields, this is known as theWave-Particle duality.No, they know what the ripples are, they're just not sure what makes them up. In the context of fields, this is known as theWave-Particle duality.
Pjpic
Of what are fields made? Sort of sounds like ether.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pjpic said:
Of what are fields made? Sort of sounds like ether.

Could you please list out all the properties and characteristics of fields and all the properties of the classical ether, and point out how you deduced that they "sound" alike?

Zz.

"sound" alike?

Zz.[/QUOTE]

From what little I know of fields, they seem to "fill up' space. This seems similar to , or sounds like, ether.

Pjpic said:
From what little I know of fields, they seem to "fill up' space. This seems similar to , or sounds like, ether.

So you pick up on ONE characteristics and somehow this is sufficient to make the comparison? A chicken is edible, and so is an apple, so they both "sound" alike?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So you pick up on ONE characteristics and somehow this is sufficient to make the comparison? A chicken is edible, and so is an apple, so they both "sound" alike?

Zz.

Sure; if it seems to be a salient characteristic. I surmise there is a compare/contrast list between ether and fields. But, the point of orignal question is about what makes up fields.

Pjpic said:
Sure; if it seems to be a salient characteristic. I surmise there is a compare/contrast list between ether and fields. But, the point of orignal question is about what makes up fields.

So the obvious fact that the classical ether has not been detected while the properties of quantum fields have makes no difference to you?

Zz.

makes no difference to you?

Zz.[/QUOTE]

It does make a difference. Although, with this thread; I'd rather stay with the original question.

Pjpic said:
It does make a difference. Although, with this thread; I'd rather stay with the original question.

But this IS related to your original question, because it renders your claim that they "sound" alike to be false. Thus, the original premise is not valid because of this one, very important, distinction.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But this IS related to your original question,

I agree, you are correct; it does relate to the original question. But, for the remaider of this thread; I will stay focused only on the original question -Of what are fields made?

From a classical perspective, a field can be regarded as a smooth, continuous wavelike phenomena; from a quantum mechanical perspective, the field is seen as quantized, being composed of individual photons. A good way to visualize a field is the old magnetic and iron filings...clearly the field carries energy to push the iron filings into an alignment pattern...

How the field is described usually depends on the model you choose...nobody knows the constituent(s) any more than we know those of matter, space,time,energy...we have working models that usually do a good job of predicting most experimental results...how all the constituents "fall from" an initially unstable high energy "big bang" phase transition to what we see today (as separate electromagnetic, gravitational, and nuclear fields, for example,) remains fundamentally unclear. "Unification" (of relativity and quantum mechanics, maybe string theory, quantum field theory,etc) seeks to explain much of this...we'll see how it turns out.

...nobody knows the constituent(s) any more than we know those of matter, space,time,energy...

So, when Wiki says that particles are "chunked ripples in the field"; they don't know what the ripples are in?

1. What is a field?

A field is a physical quantity that exists in space and can be described by a numerical value at each point in space. Examples of fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields.

2. What are fields made of?

Fields are not made of physical objects, but rather they describe the interactions between physical objects. They are made of energy, which can be thought of as a type of force that is transmitted through space.

3. How are fields created?

Fields are created by objects that have a property called a "charge" or "mass." These objects, such as particles or masses, produce a field that extends outwards from them and interacts with other objects that have the same type of charge or mass.

4. How do fields interact with matter?

Fields interact with matter by exerting forces on objects that have the same type of charge or mass as the field. For example, an electric field will exert a force on a charged object, while a gravitational field will exert a force on an object with mass.

5. Are there different types of fields?

Yes, there are many different types of fields, including electric, magnetic, gravitational, and quantum fields. Each type of field is described by its own set of equations and properties, and they all interact with matter in different ways.