Calculating Magnetic Field Due to a Current at a Given Point

In summary, we used Ampere's law and the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnetic field at a point (2.79,3.89) cm away from a current of 4.60 A located at the origin along the z axis. The magnetic field was found to be 1.92x10^-5 T and its direction was determined to be tangent to the concentric circles around the wire.
GeorgeCostanz

Homework Statement

A current of 4.60 A is located at the origin, flowing along the z axis. (A positive current flows in the + k direction.) Find the magnetic field at the point (2.79,3.89) cm.

Enter the x and y components of the field:

Homework Equations

B = μ[itex]_{°}(i)[/itex]/(2∏r)

μ[itex]_{°}[/itex] = 4∏ x 10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution

used the Pythagorean theorem to find r = 0.04787

used ampere's law to find B = 1.92x10^-5 T

found θ at 54.35°

from there i found

Bx = Bcosθ = 1.12x10^-5 T
By = Bsinθ = 1.56x10^-5 T

not sure where I'm going wrong, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find angle?

arctan(3.89/2.79)

George , what will be the direction of magnetic field at that point,?

i'm not sure, I'm struggling with all this right hand rule stuff

See , you need to know is ,
The magnetic field will form concentric circles around the wire ,
and the direction of magnetic field at any point will be the tangent of the circle at that point .

This is the figure

Attachments

• phyt.jpg
    phyt.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 352

What is the "field due to a current"?

The "field due to a current" refers to the magnetic field that is produced by an electric current. This magnetic field is responsible for the interaction between electric currents and magnets, and plays a crucial role in many technological applications such as electric motors and generators.

How is the direction of the field determined?

The direction of the field due to a current is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, then the curl of your fingers will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of the field?

The strength of the field due to a current is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of the medium through which the current is passing. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

How does the field due to a current vary with distance?

The field due to a current follows an inverse-square law, meaning that as the distance from the current increases, the strength of the field decreases by the square of the distance. This means that the field will rapidly decrease as you move further away from the current.

Can the field due to a current be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the field due to a current can be shielded or blocked by certain materials that are able to redirect or absorb the magnetic field. This phenomenon is used in many electronic devices to protect them from external magnetic interference.