Confirm/Critique Solution to Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2: Exercise 2

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Peter's solution to Exercise 2 of Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2, which deals with algebraic extensions, seems to be correct and accurate. However, it would be beneficial to mention that g(x) is a quadratic polynomial and provide a more accurate explanation of K as an extension of \mathbb{F}_2. Additionally, there is a minor error in the given multiplication table. Overall, Peter's solution is well-written and demonstrates a good understanding of the topic.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am unsure of my approach to Exercise 2 Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2 : Algebraic Extensions ..

I am therefore posting my solution to the part of the exercise dealing with the polynomial \(\displaystyle g(x) = x^2 + x + 1\) and the field \(\displaystyle F = \mathbb{F}_2\) ... ...

Can someone please confirm my solution is correct or critique my solution pointing out shortcomings ... Exercise 2 of Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2 reads as follows:
View attachment 6610Now, we need to obtain a field by adjoining a root of \(\displaystyle g(x)\) [see above] to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2\) ...We have that the polynomial \(\displaystyle g(x) = x^2 + x + 1\) is irreducible in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2 [x]\) since it does not have a root in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2\) ( since \(\displaystyle g(0) = 1\) and \(\displaystyle g(1) = 1\))Adjoin a root \(\displaystyle \theta\) to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2\) by considering an extension \(\displaystyle K\) to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2\) ... ...Take \(\displaystyle K = \mathbb{F}_2 [x] / (g(x))\) ... then \(\displaystyle \theta = x \text{ mod } ( g(x) )\) is a root of \(\displaystyle g(x)\) in \(\displaystyle K\) ... and we have [Corollary 7, D&F, Section 13.1] ...

\(\displaystyle K = \{ a + b \theta \ | \ a,b \in \mathbb{F}_2 \}\) ... ...

... where \(\displaystyle \theta^2 + \theta + 1 = 0 \)

or

\(\displaystyle \theta^2 = - \theta - 1 = \theta + 1\)
Now by giving \(\displaystyle a,b\) their possible values in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{F}_2\) we find that the elements of \(\displaystyle K\) are \(\displaystyle \{ 0, 1, \theta, \theta + 1 \}\)

Proceeding to calculate the multiplication table we get ...

\begin{tikzpicture}
\usetikzlibrary{matrix}
\matrix (m) [nodes={minimum width=3em,minimum height=2ex},matrix of nodes]
{
$\times$ & 0 & 1 & $\theta$ & $\theta + 1$ \\
0&0&0&0&0\\
1&0&1& $\theta$ & $\theta + 1$ \\
$\theta$ & 0 & $\theta$ & $\theta + 1$ & 1 \\
$\theta$ +1 & 0 & $\theta + 1$ & 1 & $\theta$ \\
};
\draw[very thick] (m-1-1.north east) -- (m-5-1.south east);
\draw[very thick] (m-1-1.south west) -- (m-1-5.south east);
\foreach \x in {2,...,5}{
\draw (m-1-\x.north east) -- (m-5-\x.south east);
\draw (m-\x-1.south west) -- (m-\x-5.south east);
}
\end{tikzpicture}

Can someone please confirm that the above analysis/calculations are correct and/or point out errors or shortcomings i.e. critique the analysis ...Peter
NOTE: If someone can help me with pointing out the error in the Latex for the display of my multiplication table I would be most gratefulSpecial thanks ! to I like Serena for editing this post so that the multiplication table displayed properly!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing your solution to Exercise 2 of Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2. Your approach seems to be correct and your calculations are also accurate. However, I would like to point out a few things for your consideration:

1. In your solution, you have written that g(x) = x^2 + x + 1 is irreducible in \mathbb{F}_2 [x] because it does not have a root in \mathbb{F}_2. While this is true, it would be helpful to also mention that g(x) is a quadratic polynomial and hence, it cannot be irreducible in \mathbb{F}_2 [x] if it has a linear factor. This can be easily seen by using the fact that any linear polynomial over a field is irreducible if and only if it does not have a root in that field.

2. In your solution, you have taken K = \mathbb{F}_2 [x] / (g(x)) to be the field obtained by adjoining a root of g(x) to \mathbb{F}_2. However, it would be more accurate to say that K is an extension of \mathbb{F}_2 obtained by adjoining a root of g(x) to \mathbb{F}_2. This is because K may not necessarily be a field, unless g(x) is a irreducible polynomial in \mathbb{F}_2 [x].

3. In the multiplication table that you have given, the element \theta + 1 should be in the second row and third column, and not in the fourth column. This is because \theta + 1 is the product of \theta and \theta + 1, and not \theta + 1 and 1.

Overall, your solution seems to be correct and well-written. I hope my suggestions are helpful to you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the solution to Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2: Exercise 2?

The solution to this exercise involves using the properties of group actions and the orbit-stabilizer theorem. The solution can be found in many online resources or by consulting the solutions manual for Dummit and Foote's Abstract Algebra textbook.

2. Is the solution to Exercise 2 correct?

As with any mathematical proof, it is important to carefully check the steps and reasoning to ensure that the solution is correct. It is also helpful to compare the solution to other sources, such as the solutions manual or online forums, to verify its accuracy.

3. How can the solution be improved or modified?

There may be alternate methods or approaches to solving this exercise. It is always beneficial to explore different strategies and see if there is a more efficient or elegant solution. Additionally, if there are any errors or inconsistencies in the solution, they can be identified and corrected.

4. Can the solution be used to solve similar problems?

Yes, the solution to this exercise can be applied to other exercises or problems that involve group actions and the orbit-stabilizer theorem. It is important to understand the concepts and techniques used in the solution in order to adapt it to different scenarios.

5. Is it necessary to understand the solution in order to move on to the next section?

It is highly recommended to thoroughly understand the solution to this exercise before moving on to the next section. This exercise introduces important concepts and techniques that will be used in future sections, so it is important to have a solid understanding of them for future success in the course.