Field Extensions - Lovett, Theorem 7.1.10 - Yet another question

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of Theorem 7.1.10, which deals with field extensions. The proof involves understanding the structure of the field extension and using the minimal polynomial to show that the expression a(\alpha)/b(\alpha) can only be such that b(x) has minimal degree among such rational expressions if b(x) is a constant. The conversation also addresses three specific questions about the proof and provides clarification on the argument.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with yet another aspect of the proof of Theorem 7.1.10 ...Theorem 7.1.10, and its proof, reads as follows:
View attachment 6587
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6588

I need help in fully understanding Lovett's argument that \(\displaystyle b(x)\) must be a constant (an argument I am having trouble fully understanding ... )

I have three questions ... ... (QUESTION 1) Lovett brings the minimal polynomial \(\displaystyle p(x)\) into the argument ... why is he doing this ... what is his objective in this matter ... ?Further ... ... Lovett writes ... :" ... ... Hence \(\displaystyle a( \alpha ) / b( \alpha )\) can be written as \(\displaystyle a_2( \alpha ) / b_2( \alpha ) \) where \(\displaystyle \text{ deg } b_2( x ) \lt \text{ deg } b( x)\). This contradicts the choice that \(\displaystyle b( x)\) has minimal degree. Consequently, \(\displaystyle r(x) = 0\) and hence \(\displaystyle b(x)\) divides \(\displaystyle a(x)\). ... .. "(QUESTION 2) I cannot see how in this argument Lovett concludes that \(\displaystyle b(x)\) divides \(\displaystyle a(x)\) ... ... ? Can someone please help ...?

Then Lovett writes:" ... ... Then the expression \(\displaystyle \gamma = a( \alpha ) / b( \alpha )\) can only be such that \(\displaystyle b(x)\) has minimal degree among such rational expressions if \(\displaystyle b(x)\) is a constant. ... ... "(QUESTION 3) I do not follow this argument that \(\displaystyle b(x)\) must be a constant ... can someone please help ... ?Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
, thank you for bringing up these questions and seeking help in understanding the proof of Theorem 7.1.10. Field extensions can be a challenging topic, so it's great that you are actively seeking to fully understand the material.

To answer your first question, Lovett brings in the minimal polynomial p(x) because it is the key to understanding the structure of the field extension. Remember that the minimal polynomial is the monic polynomial of smallest degree that has the root \alpha. In this case, we are considering the field extension \mathbb{Q}(\alpha) where \alpha is a root of p(x). Lovett's objective in bringing in p(x) is to show that the expression a(\alpha)/b(\alpha) can only be such that b(x) has minimal degree among such rational expressions if b(x) is a constant. This leads us to your third question.

In the proof, Lovett shows that if b(x) is not a constant, then there must exist another polynomial b_2(x) of smaller degree that can also be written as a(\alpha)/b(\alpha). This contradicts the choice that b(x) has minimal degree, so we can conclude that b(x) must be a constant. This constant can be factored out of the expression a(\alpha)/b(\alpha), leaving us with a polynomial expression that is equal to \gamma. Since \gamma is an arbitrary element of the field extension \mathbb{Q}(\alpha), we can conclude that b(x) divides a(x) for all elements in \mathbb{Q}(\alpha).

I hope this helps clarify the argument for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a smaller field to a larger one by adding new elements. This is done in order to solve equations that cannot be solved within the smaller field.

2. How is a field extension represented?

A field extension is represented as F(a), where F is the original smaller field and a is the new element being added to create the larger field.

3. What is the significance of Lovett, Theorem 7.1.10 in field extensions?

Lovett, Theorem 7.1.10 is a fundamental theorem in the study of field extensions. It states that if a field extension is finite, then every element in the larger field can be expressed as a linear combination of powers of the new element a.

4. How does field extension relate to other areas of science?

Field extensions have many applications in various areas of science, such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. They are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving complex equations.

5. What is an example of a field extension?

An example of a field extension is the extension of the rational numbers (Q) to the real numbers (R) by adding the square root of 2. This creates a larger field (R) that can solve equations that cannot be solved within the smaller field (Q).