Solving a Thought Problem: Growing a Field of Crops from Scratch

In summary, the problem discussed is how to find the total length of all crops in a field at any given time, given a constant rate of growth and maximum length for each crop. The solution involves counting the number of crops of maximum length that have "appeared" longer than a certain time ago.
Crazyevox
just a (random) thought problem I've been trying to get my mind around... :p

lets say we wish to grow a field of crops from scratch

'x' number of new baby crops 'appear' (or begin to visibly exist) on this field per time unit (Eg. days).
hence in 't' time, we will have a total of tx baby crops.

now every baby crop grows at a constant rate of 'l' (length) units per time unit from the very moment it 'appears' on the field. each crop will continue to grow at 'l' units per time unit -until- it reaches a maximum length of 'L', after which it seizes to grow.

how do i find the total length of all crops in the field at any given time?
anyone know how i could approach this? :s

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So at some (discrete) time t you will have:
x baby crops
x crops of length l
x crops of length 2l
x crops of length L - 1

Finally you need to count the number of crops of length L, which is all the crops which have "appeared" longer than time L ago, i.e. x(t - L). You should check this statement, you might need to take t - L - 1 or t - L + 1 or something like that... just plug in some numbers.

1. How do you define a "thought problem"?

A thought problem is a hypothetical scenario or situation that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to come up with a logical solution. It is often used in fields such as philosophy, mathematics, and science to challenge one's reasoning abilities and explore different perspectives.

2. What are the necessary steps to solve a thought problem?

The first step is to clearly understand the problem and define the parameters. Then, analyze the problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate the pros and cons of each. Finally, choose the most practical and logical solution and test it to see if it effectively solves the problem.

3. How can one grow a field of crops from scratch in a thought problem?

In this thought problem, one must imagine that they are starting with a completely barren land with no existing soil or plants. The key steps would be to first create fertile soil by using compost or other organic materials, then choose the right crops for the climate and soil conditions, and finally, implement proper irrigation and pest control methods.

4. What are some potential challenges in growing a field of crops from scratch?

Some potential challenges could include finding suitable land with enough space and access to water, dealing with unpredictable weather patterns and natural disasters, and managing pests and diseases without the use of chemical pesticides.

5. What are the benefits of solving thought problems like growing a field of crops from scratch?

Solving thought problems can improve critical thinking skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities. It also allows one to explore different perspectives and come up with innovative solutions. In the context of growing a field of crops from scratch, it can also help improve understanding of sustainable agriculture and food production.