Field inside a conductor

Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

consider two concentric shells, the smaller one has inner and outer radius a and b, the larger one has IR and O.R. c and d. Inner shell has total charge -2q and outer shell has total charge +4q.
NOTE-This is a random situation I created to explain my doubt properly, so we aren't actually supposed to find anything, its just a conceptual doubt which I have elaborated upon in "attempt at a solution" since it is mandatory to fill the section on PF.

Homework Equations

All electrostatics related formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found the field in the region between the shells (i.e b<n<c where n is the distance from common center) by taking a gaussian surface of radius n; ##q_{enclosed} = -2q## so the field is -2kq/r^2. My doubt is that since this region lies inside the larger shell which is a conductor; shouldn't the electric field at all points inside be zero? why is it non-zero here?
I'd be really grateful for some insight. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
My doubt is that since this region lies inside the larger shell which is a conductor; shouldn't the electric field at all points inside be zero? why is it non-zero here?
Within the hollow area there will certainly be a non-zero field and that's not an issue. It's only within the conducting material itself that the field must be zero.

Thus, in your example, only at points r where a<r<b & c<r<d must the field be zero. Everywhere else is fair game for a non-zero field.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Within the hollow area there will certainly be a non-zero field and that's not an issue. It's only within the conducting material itself that the field must be zero.

Thus, in your example, only at points r where a<r<b & c<r<d must the field be zero. Everywhere else is fair game for a non-zero field.
ohh...right, thank you very much :D