Field inside a polarized plate

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Plate
In summary, a polarized plate is a material with aligned molecules that creates an electric field within it. This field is stronger in the direction of the alignment and weaker in the perpendicular direction. The electric field can be changed by adjusting the alignment of the molecules through external fields or temperature. The thickness of the plate affects the strength of the electric field. Real-world applications include LCD screens, polarizing filters, and electro-optic devices for controlling light polarization.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1620872800417.png

I am a little confused why my answer is wrong... Briefly, my answer is as follow: $$P = \epsilon_{0} X E = (\epsilon-\epsilon_{0}) E; \space \space \space \space \space \space \space E = P/(\epsilon-\epsilon_{0})$$

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: ...
Relevant Equations:: ...

View attachment 282969

I am a little confused why my answer is wrong... Briefly, my answer is as follow: $$P = \epsilon_{0} X E = (\epsilon-\epsilon_{0}) E; \space \space \space \space \space \space \space E = P/(\epsilon-\epsilon_{0})$$
Disclaimer: all I know about this topic is from two minutes' web search.
Are you perhaps confusing the applied field with the local field?

What is a polarized plate?

A polarized plate is a material that has undergone a process called polarization, where the molecules within the material are aligned in a specific direction. This creates a polarizing effect, allowing only certain orientations of light waves to pass through the material.

How does a polarized plate affect the electric field inside?

A polarized plate can alter the direction and strength of the electric field inside the material. This is due to the alignment of the molecules, which creates a net dipole moment and changes the overall electric field within the material.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside a polarized plate?

The strength of the electric field inside a polarized plate is influenced by the material's polarization, the thickness of the plate, and the intensity and direction of the incident electric field.

Is the electric field uniform inside a polarized plate?

No, the electric field inside a polarized plate is not uniform. It varies depending on the direction and strength of the incident electric field, as well as the polarization and thickness of the material.

Can a polarized plate block all electric fields?

No, a polarized plate cannot block all electric fields. It can only block certain orientations of the electric field, depending on the material's polarization. Some electric fields may still be able to pass through the material, depending on their direction and strength.