Field Lines in TOKAMAK: Pictures & How to Understand

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of field lines in TOKAMAK and how to physically demonstrate them for a better understanding. The speaker suggests doing a search on the internet, particularly in English, for more information. They also mention that the field lines can change drastically and cause instabilities inside the plasma, making it a major challenge for magnetic confinement methods.
Numeriprimi
How look field lines in TOKAMAK? Do you have any picture? How I could physically make for a better understanding? (of paper, laser, ...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to do a search on this? I did a google search on your phrase "field lines in TOKAMAK" and got a slew of hits, including one at ORNL

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/fed/mhd/tokamak_gallery.html

Were you having problems finding such things?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I searched for it on the Czech internet and I didn't found some suitable. When I searching in English, I'm not too sure if I found the correct content.
Thank you.

Keep in mind that the field lines change drastically inside the reactor when you heat the plasma up and introduce current through it. I've got a book on Principles of Fusion Power and there are numerous issues with the field lines getting all mucked up inside the plasma, leading to instabilities and such. It's one of the main challenges with magnetic confinement methods.

I am excited to see your interest in field lines in TOKAMAK. Field lines are an important concept in plasma physics and understanding them is crucial in studying and operating TOKAMAK devices. To answer your first question, field lines in TOKAMAK are curved lines that represent the path of charged particles in the magnetic field of the device. These lines are used to visualize the shape and strength of the magnetic field in the device.

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture to share with you as it is important to note that field lines in TOKAMAK are not visible to the naked eye. They are a theoretical concept used to represent the behavior of charged particles in the magnetic field. However, there are many diagrams and simulations available online that can help you visualize the field lines in TOKAMAK.

To physically make a model for a better understanding, you can use paper and a magnet to demonstrate the behavior of magnetic field lines. Place a magnet underneath a sheet of paper and sprinkle iron filings on top of the paper. The filings will align along the magnetic field lines, giving you a visual representation of the field. You can also use a laser pointer to trace the path of the field lines on the paper, making it easier to understand their shape and direction.

I hope this helps you better understand field lines in TOKAMAK and how you can physically demonstrate them for a better understanding. Keep exploring and learning about this fascinating topic!

1. What is a TOKAMAK and how does it work?

A TOKAMAK is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that uses magnetic fields to confine and control a plasma of hot, ionized gas. It works by heating the gas to extremely high temperatures and then using powerful magnetic fields to contain and shape the plasma, allowing fusion reactions to occur.

2. What are field lines and why are they important in a TOKAMAK?

Field lines are imaginary lines that show the direction and strength of a magnetic field. In a TOKAMAK, these field lines are crucial for confining and controlling the plasma. They help to prevent the plasma from coming into contact with the walls of the reactor, which would cause it to cool down and dissipate.

3. How can I visualize field lines in a TOKAMAK?

Pictures of field lines in a TOKAMAK can be created using computer simulations or physical models. These images show the complex and dynamic nature of the magnetic fields in a TOKAMAK and can help to illustrate how they control the plasma.

4. How can understanding field lines help us improve TOKAMAK designs?

By studying the behavior of field lines in a TOKAMAK, scientists can gain a better understanding of how the magnetic fields affect the plasma and ultimately impact the efficiency and stability of the fusion reactions. This knowledge can be used to improve the design and functionality of future TOKAMAK reactors.

5. Are there any challenges associated with field lines in TOKAMAKs?

Yes, there are many challenges involved in creating and maintaining field lines in a TOKAMAK. These include the difficulty of heating and controlling the plasma, the complexity of the magnetic fields, and the potential for disruptions and instabilities that can affect the performance of the reactor.