What is the electric field above an infinite plate with a given charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric field 0.5 mm above the surface of a metal plate with a total charge of 60 microC using the infinite plate approximation. Two equations, (1) and (2), are mentioned for calculating the electric field, with (1) being used for a conductor and (2) for an insulator. However, the poster is confused about their application and their calculated answer differs from the given answer. They also mention the possibility of a mistake in the problem statement and request clarification on the difference between the equations. The expert provides a summary of the conversation, mentioning that the equations apply to single and dual plate situations and clarifying their use in relation to parallel plate capacitors.
manenbu

Homework Statement

From Resnick and Halliday:

A metal plate 8 cm on a side carries a total charge of 60 microC. Using the infinite plate approximation, calculate the electric field 0.5 mm above the surface of the plate near the plate's center.

Homework Equations

(1) [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
or
(2) [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[itex]\sigma[/itex] being charge density.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a bit confused here. Equation (1) should be used when the plate is a conductor, and equation (2) should be used when the plate is an insulator, according to the explanation in the book.
However, when I use equation (1) to calculate, I get 106MN/C, and in the answers in the back of the book it says it should be 53 MN/C. Either I used the wrong equation, or I should have used half of the charge.
What went wrong?

And honestly, I really did not understand why there are 2 different equations for each situation (conductor, insulator). I tried deriving them on my own but no success in gaining real understanding, so I'd be really glad if someone could shed some light on the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
manenbu said:
A metal plate 8 cm on a side carries a total charge of 60 microC. Using the infinite plate approximation, calculate the electric field 0.5 mm above the surface of the plate near the plate's center.
I calculate an answer that differs by a factor of 10 from the given answer. Are you sure that the problem statement specifies 60 μC instead of say, 6.0 μC?

Homework Equations

(1) [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
or
(2) [tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[itex]\sigma[/itex] being charge density.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a bit confused here. Equation (1) should be used when the plate is a conductor, and equation (2) should be used when the plate is an insulator, according to the explanation in the book.
However, when I use equation (1) to calculate, I get 106MN/C, and in the answers in the back of the book it says it should be 53 MN/C. Either I used the wrong equation, or I should have used half of the charge.
What went wrong?

And honestly, I really did not understand why there are 2 different equations for each situation (conductor, insulator). I tried deriving them on my own but no success in gaining real understanding, so I'd be really glad if someone could shed some light on the subject.
I'm not familiar with Resnick and Halliday text. However, I doubt a textbook would make such a mistake.

Equation (1) applies to the situation where you have two separate, oppositely charged plates, and you're looking for the electric field in between them. This is the situation when working with a parallel plate capacitor (without a dielectric).

Equation (2) applies to a single charged plate.

The difference in application between the equations has nothing really to do with the plate(s) being conducting or insulating. Rather its a matter of whether you have one or two plates.

Capacitors will invariably be constructed of conducting plates (otherwise it wouldn't function as a capacitor). Maybe that's from where the confusion stems.

What is the "field of an infinite plate"?

The "field of an infinite plate" refers to the electric field that is created by an infinite, flat plate with a constant charge density. This field is uniform and perpendicular to the plate's surface.

How is the electric field calculated for an infinite plate?

The electric field for an infinite plate can be calculated using the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What are the properties of the electric field for an infinite plate?

The electric field for an infinite plate is constant and uniform, meaning it has the same magnitude and direction at all points in space. It is also perpendicular to the plate's surface and does not vary with distance from the plate.

Can the electric field for an infinite plate be affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the electric field for an infinite plate can be affected by the presence of other charges. However, as long as the charges are not in close proximity to the plate, the field will remain constant and uniform.

What are the real-life applications of the electric field for an infinite plate?

The electric field for an infinite plate has various applications in engineering and physics, such as in the design of capacitors and electrostatic shields. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.