1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of characteristic 0

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that any field of characteristic 0 is perfect.

2. The attempt at a solution

Let F be a field of characteristic 0.
    Let K be a finite extension of F.
    Let b be an element in K .

I need to show that b satisfies a polynomial over F having no multiple roots.

If f(x) is irreducible in F[x] then f(x) has no multiple roots.

I need to show that b satisfies a irreducible polynomial in F[x].

Well, suppose b can't satisfy any irreducible polynomial in F[x]. Can I get a contradiction? What kind of element could I have that didn't satisfy any irreducible polynomial?

Then how can b be in the finite extension...? A finite extension for a field of characteristic 0 is of the form F(a), it is generated by a single element.

I'm stuck. I don't even know if what I've laid out so far is correct.

I'm having trouble connecting the arbitrary element b to a polynomial-- It's not obvious to me that b is the root of any polynomial in F[x].
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well K is a finite extension of F. So b is algebraic over F, and hence has a minimal polynomial in F[x].

If you don't know what a min poly is, think about what it means for K to be a finite extension of F. What does this say about the set {1, b, b^2, b^3, ...}?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?