Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of singularities

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    Is it possible to have a field f([pard](x)) - fractal or otherwise - where [pard](x) are discrete Dirac delta functions, and f interrelates the various magnitudes of those singularities as a conventional field would for points over a continuum?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think the phrase "various magnitudes of all the singularities" is a contradiction in terms. a δ doesn't have a value until it's integrated, as in ∫f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a).
  4. Sep 10, 2003 #3

Couldn't local Dirac singularities in my proposed field represent also various magnitudes obeying their point-by-point (distribution) normalization through overall integration?
  5. Sep 11, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Loren, go back and look at the integral I posted, notice that f(x) in there. It could be anything. What the Dirac δ does is to pick out a particular value of any function that you integrate. Dirac modelled it on the finite case of a vector like (0,1,0). If you inner multiply that by any arbitrary vector (a,b,c) you get
    (a,b,c)(0,1,0) = 0*a + 1*b + 0*c = b
    (so it picks out the second component, and if you used a 1 in a different place you would pick out a different component. Now in QM math the integral of the product of two "functions" is an inner product in the algebra of those functions, so δ(x-a) in the integral picks out the "a-value component" of the function.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?