1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of singularities

1. Sep 9, 2003 #1
    Is it possible to have a field f([pard](x)) - fractal or otherwise - where [pard](x) are discrete Dirac delta functions, and f interrelates the various magnitudes of those singularities as a conventional field would for points over a continuum?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think the phrase "various magnitudes of all the singularities" is a contradiction in terms. a δ doesn't have a value until it's integrated, as in ∫f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a).

4. Sep 10, 2003 #3
    selfAdjoint,

Couldn't local Dirac singularities in my proposed field represent also various magnitudes obeying their point-by-point (distribution) normalization through overall integration?

5. Sep 11, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Loren, go back and look at the integral I posted, notice that f(x) in there. It could be anything. What the Dirac δ does is to pick out a particular value of any function that you integrate. Dirac modelled it on the finite case of a vector like (0,1,0). If you inner multiply that by any arbitrary vector (a,b,c) you get
    (a,b,c)(0,1,0) = 0*a + 1*b + 0*c = b
    (so it picks out the second component, and if you used a 1 in a different place you would pick out a different component. Now in QM math the integral of the product of two "functions" is an inner product in the algebra of those functions, so δ(x-a) in the integral picks out the "a-value component" of the function.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook