What PhD field of study in physics is best for studying Lie Groups?

In summary, if you want to study advanced topics on Lie Groups, you will not need a PhD in physics but rather a math class. Mathematicians mainly conduct research on Lie Groups, but they are not of physical interest. Some concepts of Lie Groups are used in Quantum Field Theory, and it may also be a part of differential geometry, topology, or analysis. However, in physics, semisimple Lie groups play a major role, particularly in the standard model and extensions such as super string theory. If you are a mathematician looking to transition to a PhD in physics, then you may find opportunities to apply your expertise in Lie Groups in theoretical particle physics and quantum field theory, particularly in the context of gauge theories and physical applications.
Leo Authersh
What field of study in physics (PhD) should I take if I want to study about Lie Groups?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need a PhD in physics to learn about Lie Groups. You need to take a math class.

Vanadium 50 said:
You don't need a PhD in physics to learn about Lie Groups. You need to take a math class.
No, I'm going to do PhD. And want to study advanced topics on Lie Groups. Just want to know which Field of Study in Physics do research on Lie Groups?

Leo Authersh said:
No, I'm going to do PhD. And want to study advanced topics on Lie Groups. Just want to know which Field of Study in Physics do research on Lie Groups?
None. Mathematicians do, but mainly on Lie groups which aren't of physical interest. QFT uses (some) Lie groups. Mathematically it's either a separate field or part of differential geometry and / or topology, sometimes analysis.

Likes Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:

Did you mean: "which Field of Study in Physics uses advanced concepts of Lie Groups?"

Likes Leo Authersh
George Jones said:
Did you mean: "which Field of Study in Physics uses advanced concepts of Lie Groups?"
Yes.

fresh_42 said:
None. Mathematicians do, but mainly on Lie groups which aren't of physical interest. QFT uses (some) Lie groups. Mathematically it's either a separate field or part of differential geometry and / or topology, sometimes analysis.
Because, the Physicists working on Unified Theory have remarked that the Group Theories are of great Significance to Unified Theory. So, I am looking for the possibility if some of the Physics' fields of study do research on Lie Groups.

Leo Authersh said:
Because, the Physicists working on Unified Theory have remarked that the Group Theories are of great Significance to Unified Theory. So, I am looking for the possibility if some of the Physics' fields of study do research on Lie Groups.
In physics, mainly semisimple Lie groups play a major role and these are already completely classified. Maybe the Poincaré and Heisenberg groups to some extend, too, but the crucial part are the simple groups in the standard model. Even the extensions of the theory concentrate on simple groups like ##E_8## or ##SU(5)##. Things might change in the context of super string theory. Certainly super Lie algebras play a role here. I'm not so sure about the groups (if there are super versions at all).

Likes Leo Authersh
Leo Authersh said:
Perhaps you should clarify your situation. Typically one gets interested in a particular field of physics and then learns the particular tools (math, software, experimental equipment, ...) needed to conduct research in it. You seem to be approaching it the other way around: You have a particular tool and want to know which field of physics uses it. So, are you a mathematician with expertise in Lie groups seeking to transition to a PhD in physics and wanting to leverage your existing expertise?

Usually Theoretical Particle Physics, And Quantum Field Theory, Will it's very important when you go in Gauge Theories like Electroweak And Quantum Chromodynamics, So If you are going to make research in The Physical Applications in Lie Groups then It well be probably in Particle Physics.

Likes Leo Authersh

1. What is the field of study in physics?

The field of study in physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and how objects and particles behave in different physical systems.

2. What are the different branches of physics?

There are several branches of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics.

3. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, including creating new technologies such as smartphones and computers, designing energy-efficient buildings and transportation, and understanding natural phenomena like weather patterns and earthquakes.

4. What skills are important in the field of physics?

Some important skills in physics include problem-solving, critical thinking, mathematical and analytical skills, and the ability to design and conduct experiments. Communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists on research projects.

5. What career opportunities are available in physics?

There are various career opportunities in physics, such as research scientists, engineers, data analysts, and educators. Physics graduates can also work in industries such as aerospace, renewable energy, and healthcare, or pursue further education in specialized fields like astrophysics or nanotechnology.