1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of Study

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    What fields of study in science using advanced math and physics (maybe + engineering)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2011 #2
    Anything to do with Physics.

4. Jul 11, 2011 #3
    Can you give me some examples (such as mathematical physics, engineering physics)?

5. Jul 11, 2011 #4
    Astrophysics
    Condensed Matter Physics
    High Energy Physics
    Theoretical Physics
    Mathematical Physics
    Atmospheric Physics
    Nuclear Physics
    Meteor Physics
    Circuit Physics (basically electrical engineering)
    Classical Physics
    Electromagnetism
    Nano-physics

I don't know what else to tell you, put any *reasonable* word in front of 'physics' and you get a field that if you go far enough in depth you will encounter high end physics and math.

If you're looking for a specific field in which to study at the undergrad level then you can usually only choose from General Physics and Astrophysics, some colleges will over materials science, nanotechnology, and maybe atmospheric physics. But you will never specialize to a specific field like above until graduate school

6. Jul 11, 2011 #5
    What courses do I have to take to become a mathematical physicist?

7. Jul 11, 2011 #6
    What level of education are you in right now?

8. Jul 11, 2011 #7
    I'm a high school senior. I really interest in math and physics, so I want to major in both subjects. Therefore, mathematical physics is a good option for me. I would like to know how to become a mathematical physicist.

9. Jul 11, 2011 #8
    First, don't worry about that until you're in your final year of your undergrad. You never know how your interests change when you actually get into the field. Having an interest in such an advanced field at such a young age isn't a strong indicator that you'll actually enjoy it when you get to that level of education. The math and physics you see in high school is NOTHING at all like the math and physics you'll see at the end of your undergrad and into graduate studies.

However, if all goes well and you are still really interested in this field throughout your college education then a double major math+physics is probably the best way to go right now. Unless there's a program in Theoretical Physics or Mathematical Physics. At the undergrad level you wont be doing what graduate students would consider a mathematical physics program. Yes, you'll be learning math and you'll be learning physics but it wont be mathematical physics.

Throughout your undergrad you'll want to educate yourself on what your prospective graduate schools offer in terms of a theoretical/mathematical physics program. Talk to your academic advisers and find out what they would suggest you take (courses) in order to best prepare yourself for your future in mathematical physics.

A double major doesn't allow for much in terms of electives so you'll probably have your hands tied in terms of what courses you can take so just go along for the ride. For your electives it's important you take courses that will benefit you in the future. A mathematical physicist wont benefit from a course in sexual psychology.

10. Jul 11, 2011 #9
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook