Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field of view enquiry

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    Hi.thanks about my question on focal length.you were really helpful.Another question now about Field of view. I know that it is a angle showing a triangle.inside the area of the triangle any object can be photographed .a i right?i know tha it is not a scientific explanation iam just saying what i haveunderstood.

i have a camera. I do not know the focal length nor the frame size.i want to calculate the FOV.listen to what i thought.i did an experiment.i was taking photos of a wall withbricks soas to be able to calculate the size of the wall i was phtographing each time.at each phot i was changingthe distance between the camera and the wall. i imagined a equilateral triangle.the base is the size of the wall.the height is the distance between the camera and the wall. from there i calculated the tan of the half angle of thetriangle.then i found the half angle , multiplied it by two and i found the whole angle of the triangle. i think this is the FOV.am i right or i have done sillu things?thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good to me asa, after a number of pints.

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    i wrote it again because at the first message i had done many mistakes .sorry

Hi.thanks about my question on focal length.you were really helpful.Another question now about Field of view. I know that it is an angle showing on a triangle.inside the area of the triangle any object can be photographed .am i right?i know tha it is not a scientific explanation, i am just saying what i have understood.

i have a camera. I do not know the focal length nor the frame size.i want to calculate the FOV.listen to what i thought.i did an experiment.i was taking photos of a wall with bricks so as to be able to calculate the size of the wall i was phtographing each time (by measuring the number of bricks and multiplying with the length of the brick).at each photo i was changing the distance between the camera and the wall. i imagined a equilateral triangle.the base is the size of the wall.the height is the distance between the camera and the wall. from there i calculated the tangent of the half angle of the triangle.then i found the half angle , multiplied it by two and i found the whole angle of the triangle. i think this is the FOV.am i right or i have done silly things?thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?