Understanding the Field of View of Reflecting and Refracting Telescopes

In summary, the field of view of reflecting and refracting telescopes refers to the area of the sky that can be seen through the lens or mirror of the telescope. This field of view is affected by the size and shape of the telescope's lens or mirror, as well as the magnification power of the eyepiece. Refracting telescopes typically have a narrower field of view compared to reflecting telescopes, but provide higher quality images. Understanding the field of view is important for astronomers to accurately locate and study celestial objects.
21joanna12
I don't quite understand the concept of field of view of a telescope... Specifically, I am trying to understand the advantages of reflecting and refracting telescopes compared with the other, and my textbook says that "Refracting telescopes have a wider field of view than reflectors of the same length because their angular magnification is less. Astronomical objects are therefore easier to locate using a refractor instead of a reflector of the same length." Firstly, I don't understand why the angular magnification of reflecting telescopes is greater for a qiven length of telescope. Looking at diagrams, it seems like this would depend entirely on the power of you objective and eyepiece lenses. Secondly, I don't really understand what it means by field of view... the Wikipedia article on this doesn't seem to have a great explanation.

Thank you in advance! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
Secondly, I don't really understand what it means by field of view... the Wikipedia article on this doesn't seem to have a great explanation.

the field of view is as it sounds ... its literally the amount of sky that is viewed
field of view through any given scope is also determined by the eyepiece and the resulting magnification

The are newer eyepieces are have been designed that will give a much larger FOV compared to a normal eyepiece of the same size

Teleview, Nagler eyepieces are well known for that feature

here a page with a bunch of formula for working out various telescope things ... FOV, magnification etc
http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_formulas.htmcheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes 21joanna12
davenn said:
the field of view is as it sounds ... its literally the amount of sky that is viewed
field of view through any given scope is also determined by the eyepiece and the resulting magnification

The are newer eyepieces are have been designed that will give a much larger FOV compared to a normal eyepiece of the same size

Teleview, Nagler eyepieces are well known for that feature

here a page with a bunch of formula for working out various telescope things ... FOV, magnification etc
http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_formulas.htmcheers
Dave

Thank you for your reply! But I was just wondering why greater angular magnification means smaller field of view- wouldn't you be able to see a larger image with the same field of view if the telescope objectives are the same diameter?

21joanna12 said:
"Refracting telescopes have a wider field of view than reflectors of the same length because their angular magnification is less."
This is incorrect. The magnification does not depend on the telescope being a refractor or reflector. It is true that it is easier to design a refractor with a very wide TFOV, but this is a separate issue having to do with the more complex optical path in reflectors.
Firstly, I don't understand why the angular magnification of reflecting telescopes is greater for a qiven length of telescope. Looking at diagrams, it seems like this would depend entirely on the power of you objective and eyepiece lenses.
This is correct.
Secondly, I don't really understand what it means by field of view.
There are two different notions of (angular) field of view:
- the true field of view or TFOV, which is the angle in the sky your image covers. If the full moon just about completely fills your view, then the TFOV is ~1/2°.
- the apparent field of view or AFOV, which is the angle you see through the telescope. This does not depend on what you look at, nor on the objective lens, it is determined by the eyepiece, and depends on optical design.

Note that TFOV ~ AFOV/magnification. If your eyepieces all have a 50° AFOV, the apparent size of the image will be the same in all, but the full moon will have an apparent size of 10° (1/5th of the TFOV) at 20x and 50° at 100x (filling the TFOV).
The more you magnify, the more you are zooming in onto a smaller and smaller area of the sky (smaller TFOV).

Last edited:
21joanna12 said:
Thank you for your reply! But I was just wondering why greater angular magnification means smaller field of view- wouldn't you be able to see a larger image with the same field of view if the telescope objectives are the same diameter?
Half serious but hopefully still instructive: because if the field of view were too large, you'd have to turn your head to see all of it. Think about it: a nice, comfortable forward field of view for your eye is about 90 degrees. So if you take a 1 degree field and magnify it 360 times, you'd have to spin around to see the whole thing!

21joanna12 said:
Thank you for your reply! But I was just wondering why greater angular magnification means smaller field of view-

Do you own a camera with a zoom lens ?
if so have you noticed that when you zoom in on an object, you loose all the background view and only see the object ( depending on the power of the zoom -- less of the background) ... your FOV is now so much smaller

Likes 21joanna12
It appears the source you were reading was discussing angular resolution, not FOV. FOV is based strictly on focal length of the primary objective, focal length of the eyepiece and AFOV of the eyepiece. The angular resolution of a refractor vs a same sized reflector is superior because nearly all reflector designs have a central obstruction [CO] that reduces the amount of light that reaches the eye [or camera sensor]. The amount of reduction depends on reflector design. It can vary from about 10% for a classical Newtonian to 30% or more for a catadioptric design. For some discussion see http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_formulas.htm and http://www.telescope-optics.net/obstruction.htm.

Chronos said:
The angular resolution of a refractor vs a same sized reflector is superior because nearly all reflector designs have a central obstruction [CO] that reduces the amount of light that reaches the eye [or camera sensor].
This obstruction doesn't however lower the angular resolution for point sources (or marginally, depending on how you define it), it does so only for extended features.

This is the reason why I qualified my statement above :) it gets hairy when you look at the two airy disks and the first ring, in some cases obstruction can make the separation stand out more (the central airy disks are smaller), in some cases less (the disk plus first ring may look like just a bigger disk), and it depends on brightness... I'll check your link.

Edit - not a lot of detail there, maybe a bit more at http://www.telescope-optics.net/obstruction.htm - I think some time ago I saw one site with direct comparison for splitting stars, with obsruction changing (or even appertizing masks) but I don't recall where.

Last edited:

1. What is the field of view of a telescope?

The field of view of a telescope is the diameter of the circular area of the sky that can be seen through the telescope's eyepiece or camera. It is measured in degrees and can range from a few arcminutes for a high-magnification telescope to several degrees for a wide-field telescope.

2. How is the field of view of a telescope calculated?

The field of view of a telescope is calculated by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the diameter of the eyepiece. The result is then multiplied by 57.3 (the number of degrees in a radian) to get the field of view in degrees.

3. What factors affect the field of view of a telescope?

The field of view of a telescope is affected by the focal length of the telescope, the size of the eyepiece, and the magnification used. A longer focal length will result in a smaller field of view, while a shorter focal length will result in a larger field of view.

4. Why is the field of view important in astronomy?

The field of view is important in astronomy as it determines the amount of sky that can be observed at one time. A wider field of view is useful for observing large objects such as galaxies, while a narrower field of view is useful for observing smaller objects such as planets or stars.

5. Can the field of view be changed on a telescope?

Yes, the field of view can be changed on a telescope by using different eyepieces or adding a focal reducer or extender. Eyepieces with shorter focal lengths will result in a wider field of view, while focal reducers and extenders can adjust the field of view by changing the telescope's focal length.