Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Field of zero characteristics

1. Jun 14, 2018 #1
    I am interested in the following theorem:
    Every field of zero characteristics has a prime subfield isomorphic to ℚ.
    I am following the usual proof, where we identify every p∈ℚ as a/b , a∈ℤ,beℕ, and define h:ℚ→P as h(a/b)=(a*1)(b*1)-1 (where a*1=1+1+1... a times) I have worked out the multiplicative rule for this homomorphism, but I am not sure how to prove the additive. I am also interested in what does the notation
    (a*1)(b*1)-1 exactly mean. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2018 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

All we know about the prime field is its characteristic and ##0,1 \in \mathbb{P}##. ##a\in \mathbb{P}## is not sure. However ##\underbrace{1+\ldots +1}_{a \text{ times}}=a \,\cdot \, 1## for ##a \in \mathbb{N}## is, and likewise for negative ##a##. That's why ##a## times ##1## is used instead of ##a##. We only have isomorphic images of ##a## in ##\mathbb{P}##.

For the homomorphism, I guess ##\dfrac{a}{b}+\dfrac{c}{d}=\dfrac{ad+bc}{bd}## will be needed.

4. Jun 14, 2018 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this probably won't help much until you have some commutative algebra but it gives the outline. First of all since the field F is an abelian group, there is exactly one additive homomorphism from the integers Z into F for each choice of the image of 1 from Z, so choose that image to be the unit element 1 in P. Now you have the unique additive homomorphism from Z to P that fresh described sending each positive integer n to 1+...+1 (n times). By definition of the multiplication in Z this is also a multiplicative map hence a ring map. Then since each non zero integer goes to an invertible element of F, (because F has characteristic zero), there is a unique extension of the previously defined ring homomorphism Z-->F to a ring homomorphism Q --> F. Then since Q is a field, this ring map is necessarily injective, hence defines an isomorphism onto the smallest subfield of F, i.e. the prime field.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted