Field & Charge Distribution of Conducting Sphere & Shell

In summary, a solid conducting sphere with a radius of R1 and a charge of 3Q is placed in the center of a thin conducting spherical shell with an inner radius of R2 and an outer radius of R3, charged with -Q. The field is 0 for r<R1, resembles that of a 3Q point charge in the middle of the sphere for R2>r>R1, and resembles that of a 2Q point charge in the middle of the sphere for r>R3. For the segment R3>r>R2, which describes points inside the conducting shell, the field is also 0. The charge distribution for the sphere and shell is that all the charge is on the surfaces. For the inner
assaftolko

Homework Statement

A solid conducting sphere with radius of R1 and charge of 3Q, is placed in the center of a thin conducting spherical shell with inner radius of R2 and outer radius of R3, charged with -Q

what is the field for r<R1, R2>r>R1, R3>r>R2, r>R3 and what is the charge distrubution for the sphere and the shell?

Well I'm quite sure that the field inside the sphere is 0, and when R2>r>R1 the field is like of a 3Q point charge in the middle of the sphere. and also when r>R3 it's the field of a point charge 2Q in the middle of the sphere. but what hapeens in R3>r>R2? Although this segment describes points inside the conducting shell I don't think the field is 0... but I don't know if I'm right because you always have to assume that the field inside a conductor is 0 right? (under electro-static conditions).

Also what is the charge distrubution? How can I know it? I know that inside the sphere all the charge will be on the surface... but what happens with respect to the 2-surfaced shell?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 323
Physics news on Phys.org
assaftolko said:
what hapeens in R3>r>R2? Although this segment describes points inside the conducting shell I don't think the field is 0... but I don't know if I'm right because you always have to assume that the field inside a conductor is 0 right? (under electro-static conditions).
The field inside a conductor is indeed guaranteed zero when there's no current. If there were a field then charges would immediately flow.
Also what is the charge distrubution? How can I know it? I know that inside the sphere all the charge will be on the surface... but what happens with respect to the 2-surfaced shell?
By the same reasoning, all charge will be on the surfaces of the conductor. You just have to figure out how much on each of the two surfaces (so that there is no field within the conductor body).

haruspex said:
The field inside a conductor is indeed guaranteed zero when there's no current. If there were a field then charges would immediately flow.
By the same reasoning, all charge will be on the surfaces of the conductor. You just have to figure out how much on each of the two surfaces (so that there is no field within the conductor body).

Ok so indeed the field in R3>r>R2 is 0... but how can I really know the charge distrubution within the conducting shell? I really don't know... maybe all the charge is near the inner surface? maybe it's all near the outer surface? what difference does it make?

As I said, all the charge is on the surfaces. Suppose the charge on the inner surface is H. So you have 3Q on the central sphere, H on the inner surface of the shell, -Q-H on the outer surface. Based just on those, what would you determine the field within the body of the shell to be?

haruspex said:
As I said, all the charge is on the surfaces. Suppose the charge on the inner surface is H. So you have 3Q on the central sphere, H on the inner surface of the shell, -Q-H on the outer surface. Based just on those, what would you determine the field within the body of the shell to be?

well since the field inside the boundries of the shell has to be 0, that means that Qin inside a gausien surface with radius R3>r>R2 also has to be 0. all of these surfaces contain the sphere of 3Q and they also contain the inner surface of the shell, so on the inner surface I would expect -3Q, and so - on the outer surface of the shell I would expect 2Q in order to have total of -Q for the whole shell. Correct?

assaftolko said:
well since the field inside the boundries of the shell has to be 0, that means that Qin inside a gausien surface with radius R3>r>R2 also has to be 0. all of these surfaces contain the sphere of 3Q and they also contain the inner surface of the shell, so on the inner surface I would expect -3Q, and so - on the outer surface of the shell I would expect 2Q in order to have total of -Q for the whole shell. Correct?
Yes indeed.

thanks!

1. What is the difference between a conducting sphere and a conducting shell?

A conducting sphere is a solid object made of a conductive material, such as metal, while a conducting shell is a hollow object also made of a conductive material. The main difference is that a conducting shell has an empty space inside, while a conducting sphere is completely filled with the conductive material.

2. How does the electric field vary inside a conducting sphere?

The electric field inside a conducting sphere is zero. This is because the charges within the sphere rearrange themselves in such a way that the electric field they produce cancels out. This phenomenon is known as electrostatic shielding.

3. What is the charge distribution on the surface of a conducting sphere?

The charge on the surface of a conducting sphere is distributed uniformly. This means that the charge per unit area is constant on the surface. The electric field is also perpendicular to the surface at every point.

4. How does the electric field vary outside a conducting shell?

Outside a conducting shell, the electric field behaves as if all the charge is concentrated at the center of the shell. The electric field follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance from the center of the shell.

5. Can the charge distribution on a conducting shell be non-uniform?

Yes, the charge distribution on a conducting shell can be non-uniform if there is an external electric field acting on it. In this case, the charges will rearrange themselves in such a way that the external electric field is cancelled out inside the shell, but the net charge on the surface may not be evenly distributed.