Proving Field Axioms: Help & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discussed two proofs that needed to be solved. The first proof involved proving that if x and y are elements of a field and their product is 0, then either x or y must be 0. The second proof was to show that in a field where 1+1=0, for any element x, x must be equal to its additive inverse, -x. The conversation also highlighted the importance of considering the properties of a specific field when attempting to prove these statements.
Demonoid
URGENT Field Proofs help.

I need to prove the following:

1) Prove that if x, y are elements of a field, and X x Y = 0 then either x = 0 or y = 0 .
Write a detailed solution. and mention which of the eld axioms you are using.

2) Let F be a field in which 1 + 1 = 0 . Prove that for any x ∈ F , x = -x

I don't understand how to approach these proofs, since they are so obvious:

1) x times y = 0, of course it will be either x = 0 or y =0, since anything times 0 is 0, but how to go about proving this, I am stuck :confused:

2) 1+1=0 => just bring 1 to the right side 1=-1 then for any x=-x. But I don't think this any good of a proof.

I really need some help here, thanks !:smile:
---sdfx . drewd

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Demonoid said:
I need to prove the following:

1) Prove that if x, y are elements of a field, and X x Y = 0 then either x = 0 or y = 0 .
Write a detailed solution. and mention which of the eld axioms you are using.

2) Let F be a field in which 1 + 1 = 0 . Prove that for any x ∈ F , x = -x

I don't understand how to approach these proofs, since they are so obvious:
You're used to working with a specific field, the real numbers. But here you are working with an arbitrary field.
Demonoid said:
1) x times y = 0, of course it will be either x = 0 or y =0, since anything times 0 is 0, but how to go about proving this, I am stuck :confused:
Why is it true that anything times 0 is 0? What field properties are you using?
Demonoid said:
2) 1+1=0 => just bring 1 to the right side 1=-1 then for any x=-x. But I don't think this any good of a proof.
Right, it's not a good proof. If 1 + 1 = 0, what does that say about 1? For example, in the field of real numbers it is not true that 1 + 1 = 0.
Demonoid said:
I really need some help here, thanks !:smile:
---sdfx . drewd
You need to be looking at the properties that any field has.

Are you aware that it is true that the 0 matrix times any matrix is the 0 matrix- but there exist matrices A and B, neither equal to the 0 matrix such that AB= 0? Of course, matrices do not form a field. Which of the axioms does the ring of matrices not obey?

As for the second, that is a good proof- provided you have already proved that (-1)a= -a- which is NOT trivial- it says that "the additive inverse of 1 times x is equal to the additive inverse of x" which needs to be proved.

Perhaps better: from 1+ 1= 0, use x(1+ 1)= x(0) so x+ x= 0. Can you finish from there?

1. How do I know if my field axioms are valid?

To determine if your field axioms are valid, you must first check if they satisfy the properties of a field. This includes closure, commutativity, associativity, distributivity, existence of an identity element, and existence of inverse elements. If all of these properties hold, then your field axioms are valid.

2. What is the purpose of proving field axioms?

The purpose of proving field axioms is to establish a set of fundamental rules that define the properties of a field. By proving these axioms, we can ensure that any operations performed within a field will follow these rules and produce valid results.

3. What happens if one of the field axioms is not satisfied?

If one of the field axioms is not satisfied, then the set in question cannot be considered a field. This means that the set does not meet the necessary criteria to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with valid results.

4. Can field axioms be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, field axioms can be proven using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the axioms hold for a base case and then proving that they hold for the next case. This process is repeated until it is shown that the axioms hold for all cases.

5. How are field axioms used in real-world applications?

Field axioms are used in a variety of real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a framework for performing valid mathematical operations in fields such as calculus, linear algebra, and cryptography. Understanding and proving field axioms is essential for solving problems and creating efficient algorithms in these fields.