What is the field strength of a pulse in an air core coil?

In summary: The approximate B field inside the coil using the solenoid formula isB=u0 N I/z Tesla, whereu0 = 4 pi x 10-7 Henrys per meter N = 20 turns I = 1 amp z = 0.02 meters The B field inside the coil using the solenoid formula isB=u0 N I/z Tesla, whereu0 = 4 pi x 10-7 Henrys per meter N = 20 turns I = 1 amp z = 0.02 meters
hj47
I'm new to the forum, so hello!

How can i calculate the magnetic field strength of the pulse of an air core coil, the number of turns is 20 & the height of the coil is 20mm, not single or multi layered just random wound.
The pulse is 10V & 1Amp, the Inductance is 200uH.

Not sure how to go about this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are several web-based inductance calculators, but they all give lower inductances than you measured. Once the inductance can be calculated approximately, the B field inside the coil can be estimated. You did not provide the coil diameter, which would be useful.
For now, the very approximate B field inside the coil using the solenoid formula is

B =u0 N I/z Tesla, where
u0 = 4 pi x 10-7 Henrys per meter
N = 20 turns
I = 1 amp
z = 0.02 meters

So B = 1.25 x 10-3 Tesla = 12.5 Gauss

One can also use the short coil formula from integrating the Biot-Savart Law yielding

B = (u0/2) N I/R (where R = radius)
= 1.25 x 10-3 Tesla = 12.5 Gauss using R = 1 cm (0.01 meters)

Thanks Bob S,

The coil Radius is 150mm--300mm Diameter, i am very interested to know how the diameter affects the field strength.

I see you mention the B field "inside" the coil, is there a way to calculate the strength of the B pulse at distance away from the coil, say 25mm 50mm 75mm etc?
Thanks Again, your post is very usefull!

Sorry Bob

Edited:

I am missing something,
u0 = 4 pi x 10-7 Henrys per meter, = Permeability of Air------Correct?

Say L Inductance is 300uH or 400uH instead of 200uH how does L fit into the equation?

Last edited:
The integral of the Biot-Savart Law for a circular loop relates the current in a current loop of radius R carrying a currrent I to the magnetic field anywhere along the axis of the loop.

B = (u0/2) I R2/(x2+ R2)1.5
where units are meters, amps and Tesla. x is the distance along the axis from the center of the loop. uo is the permeability of free space.

Use the web calculator http://www.66pacific.com/calculators/coil_calc.aspx
to calculate inductance.

1. What is the field strength of a pulse?

The field strength of a pulse refers to the strength or intensity of the electromagnetic field created by a pulse of energy. It is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or amperes per meter (A/m).

2. How is the field strength of a pulse measured?

The field strength of a pulse can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a field strength meter or a spectrum analyzer. These instruments measure the electric and magnetic fields created by the pulse and convert them into a numerical value.

3. What factors affect the field strength of a pulse?

The field strength of a pulse can be affected by several factors such as the amplitude and duration of the pulse, the distance from the source of the pulse, and the properties of the surrounding medium. Other factors such as interference and reflections can also impact the field strength.

4. Why is the field strength of a pulse important?

The field strength of a pulse is important because it determines the amount of energy that is transmitted through the electromagnetic field. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the potential effects of the pulse on living organisms and electronic devices.

5. How can the field strength of a pulse be controlled?

The field strength of a pulse can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the pulse, such as its amplitude and duration. Shielding materials can also be used to reduce the strength of the pulse. Additionally, proper placement and orientation of electronic devices can help minimize the impact of the pulse.