1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field theory problem

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] field theory problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If F is a field that has characteristic p, it must contain a copy of Z_p. Is it true that F must sit inside of the algebraic closure of Z_p? My book assumes that it does and I do not understand why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure it says F is an arbitrary field of characteristic p? Because this is obviously false. For instance take the rational function field of the alg closure of Z_p - this still has characteristic p and properly contains the alg closure of Z_p.

On the other hand, this is true if F is a finite field of characteristic p.
  4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    Sorry. F has p^r elements.
  5. Mar 1, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then F is the splitting field of x^(p^r) - x over Z_p.
  6. Mar 1, 2008 #5
    I am in section 33 and splitting fields are in section 50. Thus, I do not even know what they are.

I figured it out though. F must be a finite extension of Z_p and finite extensions are always algebraic extensions and thus F must sit inside the algebraic closure of Z_p.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?