1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field theory

1. May 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find a commutative ring, not a field, who's only ideals are {0} and itself.

2. Relevant equations

Definition: A subset of a ring R is an ideal if it is a subring of R and is closed under multiplication by elements of R.

3. The attempt at a solution

I claim [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] has the desired properties.
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] is a commutative ring.
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] is not a field since it has zero divisors.
    The only proper nontrivial subring of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] is {0,2} and {0,2} is not an ideal (not closed under multiplication by 2).
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2
    Was this actually the question? Or was it something more of the form "does there exist a commutative ring whose only ideals are {0} and itself that is not a field?"

This definition isn't quite right. An ideal, I, is a subring such that rI and Ir are subsets of I for every r in R. (for a two-sided ideal).

But if you multiply the elements in {0,2} by 2 you get {0} which is contained in {0,2}.

If the condition were that rI=I for every r in the ring than there would only be one ideal {0}, because 0 must be in the ideal since it is an additive group and multiplying by 0 will only give zero then 0*I would be {0}.
  4. May 13, 2007 #3
    You're correct and in fact [itex]Z_4[/itex] does not satisfy the required properties since {0,2} is not an ideal.
  5. May 13, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{0,2} is an ideal of Z_4: there is at least one too many negatives in your last sentence.

Look, let's just write down what we know:

suppose we have a ring R and the only ideals in R are 0 and R.

Let's suppose that x is a non-identity element in R and consider the ideal xR, since 1R=R, and this tells us nothing about R.

xR is either 0 or R.

Since rings normally assumed to have identities you can now proceed to deduce some things.
  6. May 13, 2007 #5
    My bad again. I meant to say that Z4 IS an ideal. Thanks.

Am I missing something or does the trivial ring R = {0} not count??

R is a commutative ring.
    R is not a field since it does not have a nonzero identity.
    The only subrings of R are {0} and R.
  7. May 13, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people require a ring to have a multiplicative identity. Why is it weird that there are (degenerate) counter examples. If you follow my suggestion you will find all of the counter examples.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?