1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field theory

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] field theory

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the following sentence true:

A field is a ring with nonzero unity such that the set of nonzero elements of F is a group under multiplication.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it is false. To make it correct, we must require that the ring be commutative.
    Am I correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    If you're asking whether that definition implies commutativity, then you're correct, it does not. For example, you can take the quaternions with rational coefficients. They form a noncommutative field.

If you're asking whether the definition of a field requires commutativity, it depends. Most people would define it that way, but some texts (for example, Serre's books) do not. Normally, one calls a noncommutative field a skew field or a division ring.
  4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    Here is the definition of a field in my book (Farleigh):

"Let R be a ring with unity 1 not equal to 0. An element u in R is a unit of R if it has a multiplicative inverse in R. If every nonzero element of R is a unit, then R is a division ring. A field is a commutative division ring."

Please confirm the truth of the following statements:

1)The nonzero elements of a field form a group under the multiplication in the field

2)A commutative ring with nonzero unity such that the set of nonzero elements of F is a group under multiplication is also a field.
  5. Jan 24, 2008 #4
    1) yes
    2) yes
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?