1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field theory

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] field theory

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume pi is transcendental over Q. Find a subfield F of the reals such that pi is algebraic of degree 3 over F.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Umm...the only subfield I know of the reals is the rationals. Is the answer Q(pi^(1/3))? Do people understand the that simple extension notation? How would you read Q(pi^(1/3)) in English?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think a field containing [itex]\pi^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] would also contain [itex]\pi[/itex], so [itex]\pi[/itex] would end up being algebraic of degree zero.

[itex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{\pi})[/itex] can be read as "the rational numbers adjoin the cube root of pi."

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    Do you mean degree 1?

What should I adjoin to Q then? pi^3?

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4
    Yes, and you use the fact that pi is transcendental to show that pi is not contained in Q(pi^3).

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    It just seems obvious that there is now way you get pi with a polynomial over the rationals evaluated at pi^3. Is there a better explanation?

Also, I understand why adjoining pi^(1/3) makes no sense. But can you explain the thought-process that gave away why adjoining pi^3 does give you a third-degree polynomial that has pi as a zero and why there is no first or second degree polynomial in Q(pi^3) that will have pi as a zero?

7. Feb 14, 2008 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first part is easy - the polynomial with [itex]\pi[/itex] as a solution will be:
    [tex]x^3-\pi^3[/tex]

For the second part, the existance of such polynomials would require the field to contain [itex]\pi[itex] or [itex]\pi^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?