1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field transformation in Peskin-Schroeder (chapter 3)

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is something I don't understand about eq. 3.110 (there is no need of the complete equation actually) in Peskin Schroeder.
    What I need to do is to use the unitary transformation law obtained for one-particle states to get the usual transformation law for the Dirac field (under Lorentz transformations).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been able to obtain the law stated in P.S.
    I also checked the result with the similar law for scalar field transformation and still I don't understand.
    I guess I might be wrong somewhere:

I started from Peskin's law for scalar fields:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]-1x)

Here the book reads: the transformed field, evaluated at the boosted point, gives the same value as the original field evaluated at the point before boosting.
    From this I understand that the previous relation - with explicit notation for coordinate systems - becomes:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O')) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]-1x(O'))

which gives the correct law for scalars:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O') = [itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O))

Now, in chapter 3.5, I find:

U([itex]\Lambda[/itex])[itex]\Psi[/itex](x)U-1([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) = [itex]\Lambda[/itex]1/2-1 [itex]\Psi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x)

Or the equivalent for scalar field (which is not in Peskin):

U([itex]\Lambda[/itex])[itex]\Phi[/itex](x)U-1([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x)

That looks good, provided that I understand the change in the tranformation action due to the fact that we are transforming the ladder operators in Dirac field.
    But here comes my question: In deriving these equations, no change was made on coordinate system, so to me they read:

[itex]\Phi[/itex](x(O)) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\Phi[/itex]'(x(O)) = [itex]\Phi[/itex]([itex]\Lambda[/itex]x(O))

Which is not the same - even accounting for the transformation change.

I apologize for the long post on such an inessential question but I could really use some help on this.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted