Field (Z_p +, *) Homework Help

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation is discussing the interpretation and proof of a field (Zp, #, *), where p is a prime number. The set Zp contains p elements, and the operations # and * are defined as [x]#[y]=[x+y] and [x]*[y]=[xy]. The conversation also touches on cosets, quotient groups, and equivalence relations. It is mentioned that the field axioms should be checked and that if p is not prime, then Zp will not be a field.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I'm working on fields proof (intro level stuff) and I don't quite know how to interpret this field: (Zp, #, *) for prime p where [x]#[y]=[x+y] and [x]*[y]=[xy]

For (Z3, #, *), it was the 3 element set {0, 1, 2} and for example, 2#2=1 because 4 mod 3 is 1, and 1#2=0 for the same reason.

I'm supposed to show that this is a field but I can't figure out what the notation even means, what are the elements in the set, how do some of them operate on each other? That's what I need help with.

Homework Equations

A field means:

Both operations are associative and commutative
There is a identity element for #, and every element in the set has an inverse that gives #'s identity
there is an identity element for * that is not the same as the identity for #, and every element except For the identity element for # has an inverse that gives the identity for *

The Attempt at a Solution

Zp ={2, 3, 5, 7, 11,...}? Then 13#2=15_p=? Also, I don't see any identity or inverses here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Arcana!

Do you know what cosets and quotient groups are?

The set [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] contains p elements, that is

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_p=\{0,1,2,3,4,5,...,p-1\}[/tex]

The rule is that p=0. So the numbers 0,1,2,...,p-1 are distinct but p=0.

For example, in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex], we have that 5=0. So 3+3=6=5+1=1 holds in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex]

Is that a bit clear??

More rigourous perhaps. We define on the ring [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] an equivalence relation as follows

[itex]x\sim y ~\Leftrightarrow~p~\text{divides}~x-y[/itex]

Then the quotient set w.r.t. that equivalence relation is [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex].

Am I making sense??

Z_p = {0,1,2,3,...,p-1}. The notation means that you are adding and multiplying mod p, just like you were doing in Z_3. The bracket notation comes into play because I guess you are really dealing with sets here. The elements of [x] are all integers that are congruent to x mod p. For example, with Z_3, [1] = {1, 4, 7, ...}. But don't let this give you troubles, you don't have to actually pay attention (much) to the fact that [1] is actually a set. As the two operations were defined, you can just operate as if they were integers mod p. Now, just check the field axioms.

BTW, what book are you using?

Thanks guys, I get it now.

We haven't done rings yet micro, we're doing fields first because my prof hates having to rush through them at the end of the semester.

We're using Durbin's Modern Algebra, but this was a handout. It seems like all my profs hate the books that the committees choose so they always disregard them and just give notes.

What goes wrong if p is not prime?

ArcanaNoir said:
What goes wrong if p is not prime?

Well, nothing in the definition goes wrong. If p is not prime, then we can still define [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex]. But this will not be a field anymore.

For example, in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_6[/itex], we will have 2*3=6=0. So in this case there are zero divisors. It turns out that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] always has zero divisors if p is nonprime.

great, thanks! :)

What is Field (Z_p +, *)?

Field (Z_p +, *) refers to the mathematical structure of a set of integers modulo a prime number, denoted as Z_p. The operation, denoted by *, is multiplication modulo p, which results in a set of integers that is closed under the operation and has an identity element of 1. This structure is commonly used in algebraic systems and has applications in cryptography and coding theory.

How is Field (Z_p +, *) different from regular multiplication?

In regular multiplication, the result is always an integer. In Field (Z_p +, *), the result is always a member of the set Z_p, which means it is an integer between 0 and p-1. Additionally, regular multiplication has an inverse for every element, while Field (Z_p +, *) only has an inverse for elements that are relatively prime to p.

What is the significance of using a prime number in Field (Z_p +, *)?

Using a prime number in Field (Z_p +, *) ensures that every element in the set has an inverse, except for 0. This allows for a more efficient and secure system in applications such as cryptography, as it is difficult to compute the inverse of an element that is not relatively prime to p.

How is Field (Z_p +, *) related to modular arithmetic?

Field (Z_p +, *) is a type of modular arithmetic, where the modulus p is a prime number. Modular arithmetic is a system of arithmetic where numbers "wrap around" after reaching a certain value, which is the modulus. In Field (Z_p +, *), the operation of multiplication modulo p is a form of modular arithmetic, as the result is always a member of the set Z_p.

What are some real-world applications of Field (Z_p +, *)?

Field (Z_p +, *) has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. In cryptography, it is used for secure encryption and decryption of messages. In coding theory, it is used for error correction in data transmission. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic number theory and elliptic curves.