How does QM represent the Poynting vector?

In summary: In quantum mechanics, the Poynting vector is replaced by the so-called 'photon'. But anyway, in summary, the electric and magnetic fields in QM are described by the Lagrangean, which is where all QFT starts. After they quantize, they still have fields.
Rockazella
It’s my understanding that the field, whether it is electric, magnetic or EM field/wave is more of a classical concept. QM or QED completely replaces the field idea with subatomic particle interactions and reactions.
In classical field theory it’s said that perpendicular to the propagation of an EM wave there are electric and magnetic fields. In QM the propagation of an EM wave is represented by a photon.

My question is how does QM represent the electric and magnetic ‘fields’ that are perpendicular the direction of the moving photon?

If anything I’ve said prior to the question strikes you as incorrect feel free to correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Rockazella
It’s my understanding that the field, whether it is electric, magnetic or EM field/wave is more of a classical concept. QM or QED completely replaces the field idea with subatomic particle interactions and reactions.
In classical field theory it’s said that perpendicular to the propagation of an EM wave there are electric and magnetic fields. In QM the propagation of an EM wave is represented by a photon.

My question is how does QM represent the electric and magnetic ‘fields’ that are perpendicular the direction of the moving photon?

If anything I’ve said prior to the question strikes you as incorrect feel free to correct me.

Surprise! Quantum Field Theory has fields in it!

The fields are described in the Lagrangean, which is where all QFT starts. Indeed the Maxwell field is part of the QED Lagrangean. After they quantize they still have fields. The particles (bosons) are quanta of the fields, which doesn't mean they replace the fields but rather they add quantum behavior. There has been lately a move by some physicists to remove particles entirely and do quantum field theory with just the fields.

Originally posted by Rockazella
electric and magnetic ‘fields’ that are perpendicular the direction of the moving photon?

As I said so many times before in these forums: I think this is a misconception.
Let me please state again my opinion:
- There is no such thing as a 'photon trajectory'.
- Thus, there is no 'direction of the moving photon'
- A single photon cannot be described by a field whatsoever.

Rockazella, I think what you're talking about is the Poynting vector, i.e. the vector of energy flow within an e.m. field - a purely classical concept.

1. What is a field in classical physics?

A field in classical physics is a physical quantity that is defined at every point in space and time. It is used to describe the distribution of a particular physical property, such as gravitational or electric fields.

2. How are fields different from particles?

Fields and particles are two different concepts in classical physics. A field can exist independently and affect particles that interact with it, while particles have a definite position and properties. In other words, fields are continuous while particles are discrete.

3. What are the types of fields in classical physics?

There are several types of fields in classical physics, including gravitational, electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields. Each type of field is associated with a specific physical property and has its own set of mathematical equations that govern its behavior.

4. How are fields measured in classical physics?

Fields can be measured by using instruments such as sensors, probes, or detectors. These instruments measure the strength or intensity of the field at a particular point in space. The unit of measurement for fields varies depending on the type of field being measured, but they are typically measured in units such as newtons per meter or volts per meter.

5. How do fields interact with matter in classical physics?

Fields and matter interact through the principles of force and energy. Fields exert a force on matter, causing it to move or change its properties. Similarly, matter can create fields through its own properties, such as electric charges. This interaction between fields and matter is fundamental to understanding the behavior of classical systems.