Fields & Energy: Path of Least Resistance?

In summary, a field without energy would be unable to interfere with itself, and this could be a property of space itself.
mee
Could there be a field that is capable of doing no work, which makes it not energy, which is what interferes with itself in the double slit experiment? Perhaps particles travel along the path of least resistance in this field? Okay so I'm a novice already... :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could make yourself a little clearer? Your idea that particles travel through the field via the paths of least resistance seems to be at variance with your idea that it is the field which interacts with itself. You might consider the particles disturbances of the field, and I believe this has already been done, but I know little to nothing about the theory (QFT anyone?).
The trouble is, according to standard theory, the interference is caused by the particle taking every possible path, and therefore you can't really talk about the particle taking a particular path at the same time as it interfering with anything (although I believe complementarity has been thrown into some doubt as of late), but wait for a more authoritative response before making any conclusions.

mee said:
Could there be a field that is capable of doing no work, which makes it not energy, which is what interferes with itself in the double slit experiment? Perhaps particles travel along the path of least resistance in this field? Okay so I'm a novice already... :)

A field can always interact with itself through self-energy-interactions. I mean that a particle (quantum of the field) is always surrounded by a cloud of virtual particles. With these particles virtual elektron and positron-pairs can be constructed. Remember that in QFT the principle of energy-conservation can be offended for a very short time because of the uncertainty between energy and time plus the uncertainty between position and momentum (kinetic energy). The vacuum or groundstate in QFT is not really empty but is constructed out of these virtual particles. Think of the famous Casimir-effect.

the point i am trying to make is
If there is not energy ?? then what is there ?

marlon said:
A field can always interact with itself through self-energy-interactions. I mean that a particle (quantum of the field) is always surrounded by a cloud of virtual particles. With these particles virtual elektron and positron-pairs can be constructed. Remember that in QFT the principle of energy-conservation can be offended for a very short time because of the uncertainty between energy and time plus the uncertainty between position and momentum (kinetic energy). The vacuum or groundstate in QFT is not really empty but is constructed out of these virtual particles. Think of the famous Casimir-effect.

the point i am trying to make is
If there is not energy ?? then what is there ?

I thought it might be a property of the geometry of space itself, perhaps this would be energy, its just that since this energy (zero-point energy?) has never been detected, it is just a property of space. Thanks for being so patient with my musings. :)

Perhaps this zero point energy hasn't been detected because it is everywhere and thus what appears as a ground state of zero is actually higher than that but can't be measured as that because it is virtually the same everywhere and can't be escaped. My uneducated musing.

1. What is the path of least resistance?

The path of least resistance refers to the most efficient or easiest route for a current to flow through a material. This is determined by the material's resistance, which is a measure of how easily electricity can pass through it.

2. How does resistance affect the flow of electricity?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electricity. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for current to flow through the material. This can lead to a decrease in the amount of energy that reaches its intended destination.

3. How do fields influence the path of least resistance?

Fields, such as electric and magnetic fields, can affect the path of least resistance by altering the resistance of a material. For example, an electric field can increase the resistance of a material, making it more difficult for current to flow through it. This can change the path of least resistance and affect the flow of electricity.

4. What is the relationship between fields and energy?

Fields and energy are closely related in the sense that fields can store, transfer, and manipulate energy. For example, an electric field can store energy in the form of electric potential energy, and magnetic fields can transfer energy through induction. In addition, fields can also affect the amount of energy that is required for a current to flow through a material.

5. How does the path of least resistance impact circuit design?

The path of least resistance is an important consideration in circuit design as it can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of a circuit. Engineers must take into account the resistance of different materials and the influence of fields in order to design circuits that can effectively and safely transfer energy to its intended destination.