Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields and new operations

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    This problem comes from Halmos's Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces. Given that we can re-define addition or multiplication or both, is the set of all nonnegative integers a field? What about the integers? My thinking is that since the Rational numbers form a field, and they are countable, we can assigen each number of the aforementioned set a rational and then we can have a field with the integers representing rationals. Am I wrong? Edit: On second thought, this doesn't seem to right. Uniqueness is violated somewhere i think.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Technically speaking, a set is not a field, a set together with an addition and a multiplication, (F, +, *) is a field. Since the positive integers, non-negative integers, integers, and rationals are all countable (since there is a bijection between any pair of those sets), and since the rationals are a field, yes, you could make a field using any one of those sets, you'd essentially just be relabelling the rationals in such a way that makes addition and multiplication look very strange. Really, if you could name infinitely many animals, then you can make a field of animals, but what the heck does "elephant + zebra = giraffe" mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?