1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields and Nilpotent Elements

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Through my exploration/experimentation, I came up with this little conjecture: Let ##F## be a field and ##x## some element in the field. If there exists a natural number ##m## such that ##x^m = 0##, then ##x=0##. In other words, a field contains no nontrivial nilpotent elements.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose that such a natural number ##m## exists for which ##x^m = 0##, or ##x \cdot x^{m-1}##. Since fields do not contain zero divisors, either ##x=0## or ##x^{m-1}##. If the latter holds, we are finished, so assume ##x^{m-1} = 0## or ##x \cdot x^{m-1} =0##. This implies ##x^{m-2} = 0##, etc.

It seems that I could repeat this process until I obtain ##x=0##, suggesting that the conjecture is true (unless I made some elementary mistake, which is not unlikely!). However, is there anyway of making this process/argument more rigorous?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a bit simpler to consider the inverse of any non-zero element.

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3
    So, are you saying I do the following: Suppose there exists a nonzero element ##x \in F## such that ##x^m = 0## for some ##m \in \mathbb{N}##. Since ##F## has multiplicative inverses, ##x^{-m}## exists and therefore ##x^{-m} x^m = x^{-m} 0## or ##1 = 0##, which is a contradiction. Hence, ##x = 0##.

Does that sound right?

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If ##x^m=0## then you can't invert it. But you can invert each ##x## ##m-##times under the assumption it isn't zero.

6. Dec 1, 2016 #5
    Do you mean something like ##x^m = 0## is ##\underbrace{xx...x}_{|m|-times} = 0## and multiplying the equation by ##x^{-1}## ##|m|##-times gives us ##(\underbrace{x^{-1}x^{-1}...x^{-1}}_{|m|-times} (\underbrace{xx...x}_{|m|-times}) = 0## or ##1 = 0##, the desired contradiction.

7. Dec 1, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, because the assumption on ##x## (+ associativity) allows you to do that while ##x^m=0## doesn't.
    However, your original proof by induction on ##m## has been valid, too. Except you had some wording issues in the middle:
    It should have been:
    and now you could have used your induction hypothesis, that ##x^{m-1}=0## already implies ##x=0##. (The induction base ##x^1=0## is trivial.)

Edit: Induction is the mathematical formalism for "and so on".

8. Dec 1, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alternatively, if ##x^m = 0## then we can take ##m## to be the lowest natural number for which this holds. You can then derive a contradiction from applying ##x^{-1}## once.

9. Dec 1, 2016 #8
    Oh, yes! The well-ordering property, right? Very clever! So, I just need to prove that if ##x \neq 0##, then ##x^{-1} \neq 0##. Here is my proof. Suppose that ##x \neq 0## yet ##x^{-1} = 0##. Then ##xx^{-1} = 1## would imply ##x \cdot 0 = 1## or ##0 = 1##, a contradiction. Does this seem right?

10. Dec 1, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##x^{-1} = 0## then ##xx^{-1} = 0## which is absurd. Also, it would mean that ##0## is invertible, as ##0^{-1} = x##.

PS there's no reason to consider ##x^{-1} = 0## in any case.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted