Difference Between Electromagnetic & Magnetic Fields and Shielding

• Thread starter Curious007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between electromagnetic fields and magnetic fields, and how they can be shielded using different mechanisms. The ratio of electric field to magnetic field, known as wave impedance, determines the nature of the field. Conductors can shield electric fields through charge redistribution, while magnetic fields can be shielded by inducing eddy currents or by using high permeability metals. However, it is not possible to shield a field 100% due to the path of least reluctance. The use of superconductors as well as directional shielding for static fields is also discussed.
Curious007
I would like to know whether there is any difference in Electromagnetic field and Magnetic field. I know their source but I'm curious to know whether they are different in nature?
I also wants to know whether Magnetic Shield Material works same way on Electromagnetic or Electrical field?

Can we shield the field 100%? e.g. If I have strong neo magnet of cube shape 1x1x1 inch of 1.4 T, can I enclose it using cubical shield? What would be thickness of shielding material for this case?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic fields contain both an electric field component, and a magnetic field component (as I imagine you know). The ratio of the electric field to the magnetic field (E/H) is known as the wave impedance, the higher the wave impedance the larger the electric component compared to the magnetic component.

A field can be purely electric or purely magnetic only if it is static.

Conductors provide shielding of electric fields and magnetic fields by different mechanisms that I will describe:

Electric fields are shielded by charge redistribution within the conductor. Static E fields can be shielded this way, charges in the shielding conductor shift to new positions and stay there when the static E field is applied.

Magnetic fields are "shielded" by two other mechanisms:

1 - Magnetic fields are shielded by inducing eddy currents in the shield conductor, and by Lenz' law the magnetic fields caused by the eddy currents cancel the incident field. However, eddy currents are only formed when magnetic field is changing. Thus static magnetic fields cannot be shielded in this way. This mechanism involves expelling magnetic field from the conductor, not allowing it to penetrate (the amount of penetration is known as skin depth).

2 - Magnetic fields can provide "shielding" by doing the opposite, deliberately enticing the magnetic field into the "shield". Shielding of low frequency magnetic fields using high permeability metals uses this method. The idea here is that the magnetic field will follow the path of lowest reluctance, which is within the high per metal, thus diverting it away from what you are trying to "shield" it from. In this case eddy currents are your enemy and methods are used to reduce them.

To your last question:
Can we shield a field 100%? You know nothing in the real world is 100% right (unless you are rounding off). Your permanent magnet emits a static magnetic field, you would need to apply the second method, high perm material around it. The permanent magnet has lines of flux connecting its poles. This flux will prefer path of least reluctance (just as electrical current prefers path of least resistance), and the high perm material provides a low reluctance path. However, the reluctance is not 0, not *all* of the flux will go through the shield. You will get closer to your 100% if the shield is a mile thick than if it is one inch thick, just depends on how close to 100% you want to get.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response EMI Guy. I should have mentioned near perfect and not 100%. But based on your response it seems it is way way thick than what I imagined. I thought 1-3 mm thick foil might be sufficient to shield the field.
Also Is there anything which can pass field in one direction and oppose it in other direction? e.g. in mirror you can see from front side and from back side everything is blocked.

Regular conductive foil (i.e. copper, aluminium) will not shield your static magnetic field. You would need to use a metal with permeability (look up mu-metal, 2nd method I described above). Only time varying magnetic fields can be shielded with foil (via. Lenz's law).

By the way, there is also the exotic method of using superconductors for magnetic shielding. This involves a quantum mechanical phenomenon known as the Meissner effect.

I don't think there is any way to make a directional shield for static fields.

There is indeed a difference between electromagnetic and magnetic fields. A magnetic field is a type of field that is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in the atoms of a magnet. This field is responsible for the attractive or repulsive forces between magnets and other magnetic materials. On the other hand, an electromagnetic field is a combination of electric and magnetic fields that are created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. This field is responsible for the transmission of electromagnetic radiation, such as light and radio waves.

In terms of shielding, the effectiveness of a material depends on its ability to block or absorb the specific type of field that is being produced. Magnetic shielding materials are designed to block or redirect magnetic fields, while electromagnetic shielding materials are designed to block or absorb electromagnetic fields. So, while some materials may work for both types of fields, they may not be equally effective for each.

As for the question of shielding a field 100%, it is not possible to completely shield a field. However, using a combination of different materials and techniques, it is possible to greatly reduce the strength of a field. The thickness of shielding material needed for a specific case, such as enclosing a strong magnet, would depend on the strength of the field and the effectiveness of the shielding material being used. It is important to note that the effectiveness of shielding also depends on the frequency of the field, as some materials may only work for certain frequencies.

1. What is the difference between electromagnetic and magnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles, whereas magnetic fields are created by the movement of electrically charged particles that are also in motion. Electromagnetic fields have both an electric and a magnetic component, while magnetic fields only have a magnetic component.

2. How are electromagnetic and magnetic fields measured?

Electromagnetic fields are typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) or teslas (T), while magnetic fields are measured in units of amperes per meter (A/m) or gauss (G).

3. What is the purpose of shielding in regards to electromagnetic and magnetic fields?

Shielding is used to block or reduce the strength of electromagnetic and magnetic fields. This can be useful in situations where these fields may interfere with sensitive equipment or cause health concerns.

4. What materials are commonly used for shielding electromagnetic and magnetic fields?

Commonly used materials for shielding include metals such as copper, aluminum, and steel, as well as conductive fabrics and composites. These materials work by redirecting or absorbing the electromagnetic or magnetic fields.

5. Can electromagnetic and magnetic fields be completely eliminated with shielding?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate electromagnetic and magnetic fields with shielding. However, proper shielding can greatly reduce the strength of these fields, making them less of a concern for sensitive equipment or health effects.