Calculating Electric Field and Force in a Ring Conductor - Fields and Waves HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a ring-shaped conductor with a positive charge, and finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a specific point. The person asking for help tried various equations but made a mistake with the units. Another person helped them realize their mistake and they were able to solve the problem.
Deviousfred
Fields and Waves HELP!

I'm stuck on a problem on my homework assignment.

A ring-shaped conductor with a radius a=2.90 cm has a total positive charge q1=0.126 nanoCoulombs uniformly distributed around it. The center of the ring is at the origin of coordinates O.

What is the magnitude of the electric field at point P, which is on the positive x-axis at x=45.0 cm?

I found that to be 5.56 Newtons/ Coulombs

What is the direction of the electric field at point P?

Positve x

A particle with a charge of -2.30 microCoulombs is placed at the point P described in part (a). What is the magnitude of the force exerted by the particle on the ring?

Anyone know of an equation that I can use to solve this?

I tried F=(1/4*pi*epsilon_0)((q1q2/r^2) I used both x=45cm and the hypotenuse by taking the sqrt(.029^2+.45^2) and both give the same answer and its wrong. I also used E=F/q where I used 5.56 N/C and 2.3*10^-9 C and it gave me the same answer.

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You already know the electric field value at the point of interest...
What is electric field?
It is the amount of force a unit charge would feel at a given point in space..
so you can just use
[tex]\vec{F} = q \vec{E} [/tex]

You already did the hard stuff... just need to know how to make use of it :smile:

-MS

edit: Ah, I see you already tried that at the bottom of your first post, sorry

Last edited:
where q would be 2.3*10^-9 C and E would be 5.56 N/C?

I used it and it gave me the same thing as if I used the other equations mentioned.

Well I haven't checked that the value of E you calculated is correct... but for one, micro stands for 10^-6, nano is 10^-9

you got me! that's where I'm wrong. Let me check.

thank you thank you thank you!

You caught my dumb mistake.

awesome! I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on these forums.

Hopefully I can help some other people like you did for me today.

1. What are fields and waves in physics?

Fields and waves are fundamental concepts in physics that describe the behavior of energy as it moves through space. A field is a region of space where a physical quantity, such as electric or magnetic force, can be measured at any given point. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances that travel through a medium, carrying energy from one location to another.

2. How are fields and waves related?

Fields and waves are closely connected because a wave is essentially a disturbance in a field. For example, an electromagnetic wave is a disturbance in the electromagnetic field. These waves have both electric and magnetic components that oscillate and propagate through space, creating a self-sustaining disturbance.

3. What are some examples of fields and waves in everyday life?

Fields and waves are present in many aspects of our daily lives. Some examples include light waves, which allow us to see, sound waves, which allow us to hear, and radio waves, which allow us to communicate wirelessly. Other examples include gravitational waves, magnetic fields, and electric fields.

4. How do fields and waves interact with matter?

Fields and waves can interact with matter in various ways. For example, electromagnetic waves can cause the electrons in a material to vibrate, producing heat. Electric fields can also cause charged particles to move, while magnetic fields can deflect charged particles. The type and strength of the interaction depend on the properties of the field and the material.

5. What are some applications of fields and waves?

Fields and waves have numerous applications in modern technology. Some examples include radio and television broadcasting, cellular communication, medical imaging, and satellite navigation. They are also essential in fields such as optics, acoustics, and materials science, and are used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and wireless power transfer.