1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields containing Z_p

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] fields containing Z_p

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a theorem in my book: "A field F is either of prime characteristic p and contains a subfield isomorphic to Z_p or of characteristic 0 and contains a subfield isomorphic to Q."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my corollary: "If a field contains a copy of Z_p, then it must be of prime characteristic p."
    Here is the proof: If the field has prime characteristic q not equal to p, then it must contain a copy of Z_q. If q > p, then since the field contains Z_p, we have (p-1)+1 = 0, which is not true in Z_q. If the q < p, we have (q-1) + 1 = 0, which is not true in Z_p. Therefore, the field cannot contain Z_q where q is not equal to p. Furthermore, if the field contains Q, then (p-1)+1=0 is a contradiction. Therefore, the only possibility that the above theorem gives is that the characteristic is p.

Please confirm that this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The corollary is correct, but I don't quite understand what you're doing when you say things like "(p-1)+1 = 0, which is not true in Z_q". I mean, why is this even necessary to state?

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    If the field contains both Z_p and Z_q, where q>p, then the algebra of Z_p requires that (p-1) and 1 sum to 0. But the algebra of Z_q requires that (p-1) and 1 sum to p which is a contradiction.

Do you have a better way to prove the corollary?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess I would just say, since p & q are distinct primes, p!=0 in Z_q. But it doesn't really matter, and what you did is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?