Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields in ferroelectric crystal

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    Hi,

In the case of dielectric in electric field E0, we have E1 = E0 outside crystal and E2 = E0 - P inside, so that D1 = E1 = D2 = E2 + P. That's obvious.

Now, if dielectric is ferroelectric and no external field, we have only bounded surface charges. It seems for me that E1 = 0 outside crystal and E2 = - P inside. So we have D1 = 0 outside and D2 = E2 + P = 0.

But I've read (link ), that polarization close to the free surface and perpendicular to it must vanish in order to fulfill boundary condition from Maxwell equations that D1 - D2 = Qfree. Since there are no free charges, we have D1 = D2. But if we have D1 = 0 and D2 = 0, I don't see any restriction for P...?

Then, if we have a metal on a ferroelectric surface (the same reference), rather than vanishing of polarization, we have free charges induced on the dielectric-metal boundary to fulfill this boundary condition. Thus... I don't know!

It looks very strange for me. How to understand it?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted