Fields transforming in the adjoint representation?

In summary: Additionally, the transformations of these fields under the group action will be different. In terms of AdS/CFT, considering matter fields in the adjoint representation is often more convenient mathematically, but it also has physical implications in terms of how the fields behave under the dual conformal field theory. In summary, the choice of representation for matter fields is not just a mathematical issue, but also has physical implications.
Juanchotutata
Hi!
I'm doing my master thesis in AdS/CFT and I've read several times that "Fields transforms in the adjoint representation" or "Fields transforms in the fundamental representation". I've had courses in Advanced mathematics (where I studied Group theory) and QFTs, but I don't understand (or maybe I don't remember) why this is relevant. For example, last time I was reading about large N limit in vector theories and again the author started to talk about adding matter fields in the adjoint representation. I would be most grateful if someone can solve me this doubt.

Thanks for your time and attention! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a bit unclear to me exactly which part is bothering you. Can you try to be a bit more specific? Is it the definition of a field transforming according to some representation, the meaning of fundamental/adjoint representation, or something else?

Likes Juanchotutata
Thank you for your answer Orodruin!. I'm sorry if I wasnt clear. I'm physicist so maybe is the meaning of adjoint and fundamental representation what is not clear for me...
I don't understand why the matter fields are in the adjoint representation or in the fundamental representation... and what happens with that.

Apologize me if my english is not the best.
Greetings!

First of all, do you have a basic understanding of what it means for a field to transform according to a particular representation of a group? If not, we must start there.

If you do, are you familiar with what the fundamental/adjoint representations are?

Likes Juanchotutata
Mmm I know that a representation is an application which match the elements of a group with matrices. But I'm not sure if I know what you're saying about the transformation according to a particular representation.

Ok, so let us start from what you know, which is correct. A representation is a map from a group to a set of matrices such that the group structure is preserved, i.e., if the representation is called ##\rho##, then ##\rho(ab) = \rho(a) \rho(b)##, where ##a## and ##b## are group elements. The representation is ##n##-dimensional if the matrices it maps to are ##n\times n## matrices. These matrices naturally act on an ##n##-dimensional vector space, which is the vector space in which a matter field that transforms according to that representation lives and making a group transformation ##a## means that a matter field in that representation transforms according to ##\psi \to \rho(a)\psi##.

The most common (and simplest) example is that of a ##U(1)## group, where an element can be represented by a complex number of modulus one, ##e^{i\alpha}##. The corresponding representation is one-dimensional and a field in this representation would be simply a vector with one element, transforming according to ##\psi \to e^{i\alpha}\psi##.

We then come to the fundamental and adjoint representations. For a matrix group, such as ##SU(n)##, the fundamental representation is just ##\rho(a) = a##, i.e., you represent a matrix by the matrix itself. Thus, for ##SU(n)##, the fundamental representation is ##n##-dimensional and a field transforming under the fundamental representation is a column vector with ##n## entries transforming according to ##\psi \to \rho(a) \psi = a\psi##.

The adjoint representation is slightly more involved and we instead let the field be an element of the Lie algebra of the group with the representation given by the group's natural action on the Lie algebra.

Likes arivero and Juanchotutata
Thank you for your elaborated answer Orodruin.

I think that I've fully understood how the field transforms according to one representation or another but I've a question from the physicist view. Are there any physical difference between a field transforming in the adjoint representation or in the fundamental representation?. Or is this just a mathematical issue?.

I think that I've read that for calculations in AdS/CFT it's easier when we consider that the matter fields transform in the adjoint representation, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Thank you again for your time. I'm new here and I don't know how I can possitively vote you.

Juanchotutata said:
Are there any physical difference between a field transforming in the adjoint representation or in the fundamental representation?. Or is this just a mathematical issue?.
Yes, there is a difference. The fundamental and adjoint representations are not the same and generally have different dimension. This leads to different numbers of degrees of freedom in your fields.

Last edited:

1. What is the adjoint representation in field theory?

The adjoint representation in field theory is a mathematical tool used to describe the transformation of fields under a certain symmetry group. It is a matrix representation that maps the transformation of a field to the transformation of its components, and is useful for understanding the behavior of fields under different symmetries.

2. How do fields transform in the adjoint representation?

Fields transform in the adjoint representation by applying a specific matrix to the field, depending on the symmetry group being considered. This matrix represents the group action on the field and can be used to determine the transformation properties of the field under various symmetries.

3. What is the significance of fields transforming in the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation allows us to understand how fields behave under different symmetry transformations. It is particularly useful in gauge theories, where the adjoint representation is used to describe the transformation of gauge fields and their associated charges.

4. Can fields transform in different representations besides the adjoint representation?

Yes, fields can transform in different representations depending on the symmetry group being considered. For example, in addition to the adjoint representation, fields can also transform in the fundamental or the symmetric/antisymmetric representations.

5. How is the adjoint representation related to the Lie algebra of a symmetry group?

The adjoint representation is closely related to the Lie algebra of a symmetry group. In fact, the matrices used to represent the transformation of fields in the adjoint representation are generators of the Lie algebra. This connection is important in understanding the algebraic structure of a symmetry group and its representation in field theory.