Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FIFA World Cup pool. Interested?

1. May 12, 2006 #1

EL

Science Advisor

What do you think of creating a Physics Forums FIFA World Cup 2006 pool?
    Who would be interested in participating in such?

The simplest form would be just to tip the winning team (or draw) in all Stage 1 matches (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/schedule.html). Most correct matches becomes PF FIFA World Cup 2006 pool champion...
    Please feel free to come up with other suggestions for the rules!

If the interest isn't too terrible, and after we have decided the form of the pool, I will start it in a new thread.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about extra points for guessing the correct scoreline? And bonus for guessing the top scorer?

4. May 12, 2006 #3

J77

Anything football - count me in :biggrin:

5. May 12, 2006 #4
    I voted for yes though I have no idea what FIFA World Cup pool is.
    Anyway, I often play soccer, that may be good

6. May 12, 2006 #5
    I'm in, I love futbol!!

7. May 12, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ha! You have no chance. You can't even spell voetbol, let alone pick the winners!

8. May 12, 2006 #7
    I think FIFA has somthing to do with socc...football. Which I really have no idea what it is so I'll vote yes just find out why we call it soccer(I never understood why we call it "soccer" I know why Eupoenas call football but I still understand why we call it soccer) also since know else plays soccer(Football the one played with the lemon shaped ball)

But the thing I'am still confussed about is what the are "sports"

9. May 13, 2006 #8
    'soccer' comes from 'asSOCiation football'

10. May 13, 2006 #9
    The brazilian outfit are going to massacre their way through the tournament, as they did in the previous World Cup. There's just too much quality crammed together

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  11. May 13, 2006 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The South Korean coach thinks they can reach the semi-finals again. Yeah, right! Even the last time was such a fluke, even with the home ground advantage.

12. May 15, 2006 #11

J77

Yeah - it's what the toffs called football, cf. rugger.

Best line I (semi-) remember from an old sitcom:

"It's called FOOTBALL...

...soccer's something you do to the wife!"

:rofl:

13. May 15, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4770921.stm

I heard about this on Public Radio - and the scandal could involve other teams, possibly AC Milan. Juventes could get dropped to Lega B!

European News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/default.stm

BBC World Football - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/default.stm

Great links.

Referees under the spotlight
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/4879988.stm

14. May 15, 2006 #13

J77

Corruption. Italian. Football.

:surprised :wink:

15. May 15, 2006 #14
    Hey what's this about?

16. May 15, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The thread or the probe into Italian football corruption?

17. May 15, 2006 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree about 'diving' being hard to call in a game. Even in lower level games, where a referee might be as good an athlete*, there's always going to be a weak side and a strong side to the field. A good ref sets himself up knowing where he can get help from the asst ref and where he's on his own. He still has to get a good read and anticipate the play in order to get there in time to be in position to make the call.

Watching other refs work, I tended to sit in the corner opposite the asst ref's line. It's just amazing how many really bad calls are made in that 'weak' corner. It takes just as much skill for the referee to read and anticipate the play as it does for a player. If the ref doesn't make a good read on what's about to happen, he has little hope of getting a good angle on the call.

I can't even imagine what it's like for referees at a pro-level where the action takes place so much quicker. Worse yet, the players have learned where the ref's natural weak side is and some seem to intentionally exploit it.

Just watch where on the field the worst calls always seem to occur and where the smart players tend to dive. Watch the situation the dives occur in, as well. A lot of catching a dive is reading the situation as much as seeing the lack of a foul.

*(ha!-fat chance!-if the referee were young with a lot of athletic ability, he'd be refereeing at a higher level!)

18. May 15, 2006 #17

EL

Science Advisor

So, how about this:
    We tip each match. 1 point for correct winner (or draw). 1 extra point for correct scoreline. 5 points bonus for correct top scorer.
    We could also have a lot of other bonuses like:
    Winning team, Teams in the final, Referee in the final, Players in the all star team, Team with most yellow/red cards, Teams qualifying from each group in stage 1, and so on...but I guess too many bonuses will just make it too complicated, and in my eyes it's more important to get more people to participate. What do you think?

19. May 15, 2006 #18

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's fine with me

20. May 16, 2006 #19

J77

...but even if they get away with it on the pitch, the camera will catch them these days.

21. May 17, 2006 #20
    Sounds good to me. I am a football freak, count me in!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?