FIFA World Cup pool. Interested?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, this would be a great way to get people interested in the pool and to keep track of the progress. Most people would be interested in participating, and the pool would be a great way to track who is the best at predicting the matches.

Are you interested in participating in the pool?

• Total voters
EL
Science Advisor
What do you think of creating a Physics Forums FIFA World Cup 2006 pool?
Who would be interested in participating in such?

The simplest form would be just to tip the winning team (or draw) in all Stage 1 matches (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/schedule.html). Most correct matches becomes PF FIFA World Cup 2006 pool champion...
Please feel free to come up with other suggestions for the rules!

If the interest isn't too terrible, and after we have decided the form of the pool, I will start it in a new thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about extra points for guessing the correct scoreline? And bonus for guessing the top scorer?

Anything football - count me in :biggrin:

I voted for yes though I have no idea what FIFA World Cup pool is.
Anyway, I often play soccer, that may be good

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm in, I love futbol!
Ha! You have no chance. You can't even spell voetbol, let alone pick the winners!

I think FIFA has somthing to do with socc...football. Which I really have no idea what it is so I'll vote yes just find out why we call it soccer(I never understood why we call it "soccer" I know why Eupoenas call football but I still understand why we call it soccer) also since know else plays soccer(Football the one played with the lemon shaped ball)But the thing I'am still confussed about is what the are "sports"

'soccer' comes from 'asSOCiation football'

The brazilian outfit are going to massacre their way through the tournament, as they did in the previous World Cup. There's just too much quality crammed together

Last edited:
The South Korean coach thinks they can reach the semi-finals again. Yeah, right! Even the last time was such a fluke, even with the home ground advantage.

rhj23 said:
'soccer' comes from 'asSOCiation football'
Yeah - it's what the toffs called football, cf. rugger.

Best line I (semi-) remember from an old sitcom:

"It's called FOOTBALL...

...soccer's something you do to the wife!"

:rofl:

Luciano Moggi, who is at the centre of an investigation into alleged corruption in Italian football, has quit as general manager of Juventus.
BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4770921.stm

I heard about this on Public Radio - and the scandal could involve other teams, possibly AC Milan. Juventes could get dropped to Lega B!

European News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/default.stm

BBC World Football - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/default.stm

Great links.

Referees under the spotlight
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/4879988.stm

Corruption. Italian. Football.

:wink:

Hey what's this about?

Reshma said:
Hey what's this about?
The thread or the probe into Italian football corruption?

Astronuc said:
I agree about 'diving' being hard to call in a game. Even in lower level games, where a referee might be as good an athlete*, there's always going to be a weak side and a strong side to the field. A good ref sets himself up knowing where he can get help from the asst ref and where he's on his own. He still has to get a good read and anticipate the play in order to get there in time to be in position to make the call.

Watching other refs work, I tended to sit in the corner opposite the asst ref's line. It's just amazing how many really bad calls are made in that 'weak' corner. It takes just as much skill for the referee to read and anticipate the play as it does for a player. If the ref doesn't make a good read on what's about to happen, he has little hope of getting a good angle on the call.

I can't even imagine what it's like for referees at a pro-level where the action takes place so much quicker. Worse yet, the players have learned where the ref's natural weak side is and some seem to intentionally exploit it.

Just watch where on the field the worst calls always seem to occur and where the smart players tend to dive. Watch the situation the dives occur in, as well. A lot of catching a dive is reading the situation as much as seeing the lack of a foul.

*(ha!-fat chance!-if the referee were young with a lot of athletic ability, he'd be refereeing at a higher level!)

So, how about this:
We tip each match. 1 point for correct winner (or draw). 1 extra point for correct scoreline. 5 points bonus for correct top scorer.
We could also have a lot of other bonuses like:
Winning team, Teams in the final, Referee in the final, Players in the all star team, Team with most yellow/red cards, Teams qualifying from each group in stage 1, and so on...but I guess too many bonuses will just make it too complicated, and in my eyes it's more important to get more people to participate. What do you think?

EL said:
So, how about this:
We tip each match. 1 point for correct winner (or draw). 1 extra point for correct scoreline. 5 points bonus for correct top scorer.

Yeah, that's fine with me

BobG said:
I can't even imagine what it's like for referees at a pro-level where the action takes place so much quicker. Worse yet, the players have learned where the ref's natural weak side is and some seem to intentionally exploit it.
...but even if they get away with it on the pitch, the camera will catch them these days.

EL said:
So, how about this:
We could also have a lot of other bonuses like:
Winning team, Teams in the final, Referee in the final, Players in the all star team, Team with most yellow/red cards, Teams qualifying from each group in stage 1, and so on...but I guess too many bonuses will just make it too complicated, and in my eyes it's more important to get more people to participate. What do you think?
Sounds good to me. I am a football freak, count me in!

Luciano Moggi - Juve boss quits amid fixing probe

Luciano Moggi, who is at the centre of an investigation into alleged corruption in Italian football, has quit as general manager of Juventus.
"From Monday I will have resigned. From this day the world of football is no longer my world," Moggi said.

"Now I'll think about defending myself from the malice said about me."

He has been linked to the publication of telephone taps involving talks with Italy football federation officials regarding refereeing appointments.

Referee Massimo De Santis, who is set to officiate at the World Cup next month, is also being investigated in the probe.

Moggi is one of 41 people being investigated
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4770921.stm

Yay, 19 days to Worldddddddddddddddddddddd Cup 2006
Any one going to Germany?
Go Angola!
Let's do preguessing for the World Cup winner.
I think Argentina,

1. What is a FIFA World Cup pool?

A FIFA World Cup pool is a type of betting or prediction game where participants make guesses or bets on the outcomes of matches in the FIFA World Cup tournament.

2. How do I participate in a FIFA World Cup pool?

To participate in a FIFA World Cup pool, you can either join an existing pool or create your own. You can join a pool with friends, coworkers, or online communities. Some pools may require an entry fee, while others may be free.

3. What are the rules of a FIFA World Cup pool?

The rules of a FIFA World Cup pool may vary depending on the organizer or specific pool, but typically, participants make predictions on the outcomes of matches and earn points for correct predictions. The participant with the most points at the end of the tournament wins the pool.

4. Is participating in a FIFA World Cup pool legal?

In most countries, participating in a FIFA World Cup pool with friends or coworkers is considered legal as long as there is no entry fee or the organizer does not make any profit from the pool. However, it is important to check the laws and regulations in your specific location.

5. Are there any strategies for winning a FIFA World Cup pool?

There is no guaranteed strategy for winning a FIFA World Cup pool as it ultimately depends on luck and the performance of the teams. However, some people may use statistical analysis or knowledge of the teams and players to make more informed predictions. Ultimately, the key is to have fun and enjoy the tournament.