Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fifteen ways to live longer

1. May 6, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/28/cx_vg_0501featslide2.html?thisSpeed=6000

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

According to the mr averages law we will all have 2.4 children :surprised

4. May 6, 2006 #3
    First, even if the study is correct, it does not prove that there is a casual connection between sleep and death rate. Second, why would you want to live longer anyway? It's not very glamorous to die in your bed at ninety.

5. May 6, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If I can't sleep as much, why the hell would I want to live any longer ? :biggrin:

6. May 6, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Oh , come on we all know the world will end without you :rofl:

7. May 6, 2006 #6
    I don't see why a "glamorous death" is so fashionable these days. :confused: Maybe it's all these Hollywood action movies, with their machine guns and explosions and whatnot. Perverse.

8. May 6, 2006 #7

Mk

We really have no idea what sleep has to do with death. Except if you don't sleep for months you die, and rats deprived of REM sleep die after ~28 days. Its totally inhumane to see how long it takes people to die from lack of sleep, if they do at all.

I suspect that forbes thing is a load of BS, I hope it doesn't say drink green tea and red wine, or laugh more/be optimistic, or to have pets, or to have more sex in hope of living longer.

9. May 6, 2006 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It sure beats dying in your bed at seventy! When you get past forty glamor, as a desideratum of life, sort of loses its -- glamor:!!)

10. May 6, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that all on average? :biggrin: So, if I already experienced plenty of sleep-deprivation early in life, I can sleep all day when I retire, right? :rofl:

Snooze button? If I can get more than 8 hours of sleep at night, I don't have an alarm set!

I can't say I really buy that as a causative factor though, but more likely the other way around. If you're unhealthy already, your body may regularly need more than 8 hours of sleep a day, and I doubt that depriving yourself of that additional sleep is going to improve that underlying condition (unless it's associated with other unhealthy habits, like not getting enough exercise or proper nutrition and generally being lazy).

11. May 6, 2006 #10
    I slept 8 or 9 hours last night, it was great! I normally get about 6-7hrs a night when I have school the next day.

12. May 6, 2006 #11

dav2008

Gold Member

How is "Stop Smoking" number 7 while "Don't oversleep" is number 1???

13. May 6, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're not in any particular order?

IIRC, stress can be about as bad as smoking.

14. May 6, 2006 #13

dav2008

Gold Member

Oh good point. I assumed they were listing the top 15 ways to live longer. Under closer inspection there is no mention of the word "top".

15. May 6, 2006 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

no age groups, no gender difference, no race difference, nothing?

what kinda statistical analysis did those shrinks use? algebra-based??

:rofl:

doctors and math dont mix well

16. May 6, 2006 #15
    Then maybe we shouldn't get past forty?

17. May 7, 2006 #16
    None of this matters, I'll die in a vast fireball before I'm 30 anyway :cool:

Oh wait....thats not a good thing?

Damn. :frown:

On a side note, I managed to get through two rocket test fires without blowing myself up today. Despite an oxidizer leak at the first one. :bugeye:

18. May 7, 2006 #17
    Why do you want to make rocket motors?

19. May 7, 2006 #18
    Sleeping too little also has effects on life expectancy, with increased risks of diabetes and obesity and the obvious implications of both. try and get your 8 hours or whatever it is you need, you really will live longer.:smile:

Oh and shift workers: long term studies done on triple shift workers have found that average life expectancy can be reduced by as much as 3-5 years. Those doing some double shifts such as day and night particularly do not fair well either with a few years lost, although considerably better than the rotating 8 hr triple shifters. I'll fish out the article and the long term study if anyones interested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?