What is a Jones Fracture and How Can I Treat It?

• Thread starter krater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fracture
In summary, the speaker recently suffered an acute injury to their foot, possibly diagnosed as a "Jones Fracture". They received less than reassuring treatment from a previous healthcare provider and are seeking anecdotal contributions and prognosis. According to Dr. Wikipedia, the injury is not cancerous but may require surgery. The speaker thanks everyone for their potential advice but acknowledges the importance of seeking professional medical help.
krater
I have recently been fortunate and clumsy enough to suffer an acute injury leading to a break in my foot which ultimately might be diagnosed today as a "Jones Fracture".

The demeanor of the AP that treated it last week was less than reassuring. Anybody have any anecdotal contributions of prognosis (positive or negative), tricks they used to deal with it, things to really watch out for? Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
No anecdotes, but according to Dr. Wikipedia, you don't have cancer. I think that's a first for Dr. Wikipedia. He treats everything as cancer.

It does sound like a serious break requiring surgery, but hardly life threatening. It may be a while before your dancing again.

Sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you get better soon, but we don't really allow people giving advice, even if you may not take it, someone else might come along with a similar injury and think the advice is sound medical advice and avoid seeing a doctor. So, we always say, "see a doctor". :biggrin:

What is a fifth metatarsal fracture?

A fifth metatarsal fracture is a break or crack in the fifth metatarsal bone of the foot, which is located on the outer side of the foot and connects to the little toe.

How do I know if I have a fifth metatarsal fracture?

Symptoms of a fifth metatarsal fracture may include pain, tenderness, swelling, bruising, and difficulty bearing weight on the affected foot. A doctor can confirm a fracture through imaging tests, such as X-rays or MRI.

What causes a fifth metatarsal fracture?

A fifth metatarsal fracture can be caused by a direct impact or trauma to the foot, such as a fall or a sports injury. It can also occur from repetitive stress, such as from running or dancing, or from underlying conditions such as osteoporosis.

How is a fifth metatarsal fracture treated?

Treatment for a fifth metatarsal fracture depends on the severity and location of the fracture. In some cases, rest, ice, and elevation may be enough to heal the fracture. In more severe cases, a doctor may recommend immobilization with a cast or boot, physical therapy, or surgery.

What is the recovery time for a fifth metatarsal fracture?

The recovery time for a fifth metatarsal fracture varies depending on the severity of the fracture and the treatment method used. In general, it can take 6-8 weeks for a fracture to heal, with additional time needed for physical therapy and rehabilitation. However, it is important to follow the guidance of a doctor for an accurate estimate of recovery time.