Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fight Club

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    What do you make of Fight Club?

I personally think that the movie, I havent got a chance to read the book, is one of the best movies of all time. But I am confused about the symbolism in the movie. One of the main themes I saw was: middle-class society vs. modern opinion of man and genius. Though this isnt the only theme that I think is present but this is the one that most confuses me and where most of my questions concern. Anyone wanna elaborate?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    Misinterpretation can be very beautiful..
  4. May 6, 2007 #3
    Read Nietzsche.

I agree that Fight Club is an excellent movie. I think it makes a few mistakes, it's not perfect, but it's still damn good. The main theme in the movie I identify is the Will to Power (there's Nietzsche). And when Brad Pitt is giving all his short monologues you can pretty much attribute those directly to Nietzsche as well.

Other Nietzschean themes are:
    Nihilism (not strictly Nietzschean, but related)
    Apollonian vs Dionysian
    Slave Morality vs Master Morality

Another great movie on the some of the same themes is Batman Begins. The whole movie is an Apollonian-Dionysian-Will-to-Power orgy.

I love talking about Nietzsche.

Thanks to Franzniezsche for turning me onto him about 2 years ago right here on PF :biggrin:
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  5. May 7, 2007 #4
    Definately.. Have you read the book?
  6. May 7, 2007 #5
    The fight club book, no I havn't. Just seen the movie. Didn't know there was a book, actually.
  7. May 11, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I think you can read a lot of critical theory into this film as well (also never read the book). There's a lot of Foucault especially, considering how the attempt to break free from societal power/knowledge and norms simply results in the construction of another set, plus there's a good deal in there about disciplining the body and the internalization of behavioral restrictions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?