1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fighter Jet Vector Help

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Hello. I do not really understand how to solve these problems and was hoping that you could help/explain them to me. Thanks.

1. A fighter plane moving 200 m/s horizontally fires a projectile with speed 50.0 m/s in a forward direction 30 degrees below the horizontal. What is the speed of the projectile with respect to a stationary observer on the ground?
    I was thinking to use cosθ = A/H. But that doesn't work. How do I set up this problem?!

2. Three forces, each having a magnitude of 30N, pull on an object in directions that are 120 degrees apart from each other. What is the resultant?

3. An airplane with a speed of 120km/h is headed 30 degrees east of north in a wind blowing due east at 30km/h. What is the speed of the plane relative to the ground?
    I tried using cos, sin/ tan, but somehow I can't get the answer again.

4. Two forces are acting upon an object as shown. What is the magnitude of the resultant forces.?

So basically I kind redid the diagram here. a is 75 degrees between the left hand side lines (slashes) and the box and b is 60 degrees for the right hand side lines (slashes) and the box.

80N....\...../...120N
    ...........\.../
    .........a .\./.....b
    ........ ----------
    ........|............|
    I was going to use F and such to solve for the resultant but no mass is given and I can't think of another way to solve for it.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted