Physics Problems: Fighter Jet, Forces, and Airplane Speeds Explained

• Thread starter goodie2shoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet Vector
In summary: Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the total speed relative to the ground: √(134^2 + 60^2) = 144 km/h. 4. To solve this problem, you can use the parallelogram rule. Draw a parallelogram with the two given forces as the adjacent sides. Then, draw a diagonal from the opposite corner to the other corner. This diagonal represents the resultant force. To find the magnitude of the resultant force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem: √(80^2 + 120^2) = 144 N. In summary, to solve these problems, you can use trigonometry, the law
goodie2shoes
Hello. I do not really understand how to solve these problems and was hoping that you could help/explain them to me. Thanks.

1. A fighter plane moving 200 m/s horizontally fires a projectile with speed 50.0 m/s in a forward direction 30 degrees below the horizontal. What is the speed of the projectile with respect to a stationary observer on the ground?
I was thinking to use cosθ = A/H. But that doesn't work. How do I set up this problem?!

2. Three forces, each having a magnitude of 30N, pull on an object in directions that are 120 degrees apart from each other. What is the resultant?

3. An airplane with a speed of 120km/h is headed 30 degrees east of north in a wind blowing due east at 30km/h. What is the speed of the plane relative to the ground?
I tried using cos, sin/ tan, but somehow I can't get the answer again.

4. Two forces are acting upon an object as shown. What is the magnitude of the resultant forces.?

So basically I kind redid the diagram here. a is 75 degrees between the left hand side lines (slashes) and the box and b is 60 degrees for the right hand side lines (slashes) and the box.

80N...\.../...120N
...\.../
...a .\./...b
... ----------
...|...|
I was going to use F and such to solve for the resultant but no mass is given and I can't think of another way to solve for it.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. To solve this problem, you can set up a right triangle with the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity. The horizontal component will be 50 m/s * cos(30°) = 43.3 m/s, and the vertical component will be 50 m/s * sin(30°) = 25.0 m/s. You then add the two components together to get the total speed of the projectile relative to the ground: 43.3 m/s + 25.0 m/s = 68.3 m/s. 2. To solve this problem, you can use the law of cosines. Let A = 30N, B = 30N, and C = 30N. Then, the magnitude of the resultant force can be found using the equation: C^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2*A*B*cos(120°). Plugging in the given values, we get: 30^2 = 30^2 + 30^2 - 2*30*30*cos(120°), or 30^2 = 900 - 900*(-0.5), or 30^2 = 900 + 450 = 1350. Taking the square root of both sides, we get that the magnitude of the resultant force is √1350 = 36.7 N. 3. To solve this problem, you can use trigonometry. The plane's speed relative to the ground can be found by adding the plane's speed (120 km/h) and the wind's speed (30 km/h) together, but in different directions. The plane's speed can be broken down into a horizontal and vertical component, and the wind's speed can also be broken down into a horizontal and vertical component. The horizontal components will be in the same direction, and the vertical components will be in the same direction, so you can just add them together. The horizontal component of the plane's speed is 120 km/h * cos(30°) = 104 km/h, and the vertical component is 120 km/h * sin(30°) = 60 km/h. The horizontal component of the wind's speed is 30 km/h, and the vertical component is 0. So, the total horizontal component of the plane's speed is 104 km/h + 30 km/h = 134 km/h, and the total vertical component is 60 km/h

Hello,

1. To solve this problem, we can use vector addition. The velocity of the projectile with respect to the ground is the sum of the horizontal velocity of the fighter plane (200 m/s) and the horizontal component of the projectile's velocity (50.0 m/s * cos(30)). The vertical component of the projectile's velocity (50.0 m/s * sin(30)) does not affect the speed with respect to the ground. So the speed of the projectile with respect to the ground is approximately 230.9 m/s.

2. To find the resultant force, we can use the law of cosines. The resultant force is the square root of (30N)^2 + (30N)^2 - 2(30N)(30N)cos(120). This comes out to be approximately 51.96 N.

3. To find the speed of the plane relative to the ground, we can use vector addition again. The speed of the plane with respect to the ground is the sum of the plane's velocity (120 km/h) and the horizontal component of the wind's velocity (30 km/h * cos(30)). The vertical component of the wind's velocity does not affect the speed with respect to the ground. So the speed of the plane relative to the ground is approximately 141.4 km/h.

4. To find the magnitude of the resultant force, we can use the law of cosines again. The resultant force is the square root of (80N)^2 + (120N)^2 - 2(80N)(120N)cos(15). This comes out to be approximately 156.3 N.

I hope this helps to clarify the problems for you. Remember to always break down the forces or velocities into their horizontal and vertical components, and use vector addition to find the resultant. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a fighter jet vector?

A fighter jet vector is a mathematical representation of the path and direction of travel of a fighter jet. It takes into account the jet's speed, altitude, and heading to calculate its position and movement in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a fighter jet vector helpful?

A fighter jet vector is helpful because it allows pilots to accurately track their location and navigate through the air. It also helps with coordinating with other aircraft and avoiding collisions.

3. What factors affect a fighter jet vector?

Several factors can affect a fighter jet vector, including the jet's speed, wind speed and direction, altitude, and the pilot's input on the flight controls.

4. Can a fighter jet vector change during flight?

Yes, a fighter jet vector can change during flight due to factors such as changes in speed, altitude, and direction. It can also be adjusted by the pilot using the flight controls.

5. How do scientists use fighter jet vectors in their research?

Scientists use fighter jet vectors in their research to study the dynamics and aerodynamics of flight, as well as to simulate and model flight scenarios for testing and training purposes. They can also use fighter jet vectors to analyze and improve the performance and efficiency of fighter jets.