Figure out the numerical values of sines and cosines?

In summary, mathematicians use various methods such as half angle formulas, the 1/n-th angle formula, and geometry to figure out the numerical values of sines and cosines. However, it is not possible to express the value of a sine in terms of basic arithmetic operations and roots. Most calculators use a method called "table lookup" to calculate trigonometric functions, while computers use more sophisticated algorithms. It is also worth noting that most functions, including sine and cosine, are transcendental rather than algebraic.
StephenPrivitera
How do mathematicians figure out the numerical values of sines and cosines? I can figure out how to evaluate sin(pi/12), sin(pi/24), sin(pi/48), etc, using sin(pi/6) and half angle formulas. How would I find sin(pi/5), for example? Is there any way other than infinite sums to express the value of a sine?

Edit: stupid mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the 1/n-th angle formula! :smile:

Well, it's not quite that simple... but one way to get the value is to do something like the following:

cos 3θ = cos (2θ + θ)
= cos 2θ cos θ - sin 2θ sin θ
= (2 (cos θ)^2 - 1) cos θ - 2 (sin θ)^2 cos θ
= 2 (cos θ)^3 - cos θ - 2 cos θ + 2 (cos θ)^3
= 4 (cos θ)^3 - 3 cos θ

If you plug in π / 9 for θ, you have a polynomial in cos θ that you can solve.

In general, though, one cannot write the value of sin (π p/q) in terms of +, -, *, /, and roots.

When I derive the value for sin (π/5), I use geometry. I draw a regular pentagon and all of its diagonals, and through some magic with similar triangles, I can get a simple equation I can solve.

Actually most mathematicians use calculators to figure out values of trig functions!

For most people, the simplest way to calculate (by "hand") the approximate values of is to use the "Taylor series".

For any x, sin(x)= x- (1/6)x3+ 1/(5!) x5- 1/(7!) x7+ ... + (-1)2n+1/(2n+1)! x2n+1 and
cos(y)= 1- 1/2 x2+ 1/4! x4- 1/6! x6+ ...+ (-1)2n/(2n)! x2n.
If x is reasonably small, you don't have to take n very large at all.
(x is in radians, of course.)

I used to think that that was how calculators and computers did trig functions but I have been told that they actually use a much more sophisticated set of algorithms. Unfortunately, I've forgotten what they are called!

Halls,

He asked for ways to calculate WITHOUT power series.

And most calculators use a very sophisticated method called "table lookup."

- Warren

Originally posted by Hurkyl

In general, though, one cannot write the value of sin (π p/q) in terms of +, -, *, /, and roots.
That disappoints me. I guess I already knew that. It just seems so unlikely that something as simple as a circle can lead so directly to such complicated results.

originally posted by Hurkyl In general, though, one cannot write the value of sin (ð p/q) in terms of +, -, *, /, and roots.

In other words, sine and cosine are not "algebraic functions".

Actually, most functions are not algebraic (they are "transcendental functions").

And π indeed is a transcendental number. It cannot be the solution of any polynomial equation with rational (or algebraic) coefficients.

1. How do you find the numerical values of sines and cosines?

To find the numerical values of sines and cosines, you can use a scientific calculator or a table of values. You can also use the unit circle to determine the values for specific angles.

2. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions used to calculate the ratio of sides in a right triangle. Sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosine represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

3. How do you use the unit circle to determine values for sines and cosines?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is used to determine the values of sines and cosines for specific angles. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value for that angle, while the y-coordinate represents the sine value.

4. What is the range of values for sines and cosines?

The range of values for sines and cosines is between -1 and 1. This is because the values represent the ratios of sides in a right triangle and are therefore limited by the lengths of those sides.

5. How can you use sines and cosines to solve real-world problems?

Sines and cosines are commonly used in real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements. They can also be used in navigation and mapping to determine the location of objects.