1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figure Series Problem

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    Hi guys! I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread because this seems to be the closest for the type of question I have. I have been reviewing some Figure Series problems and there is this one problem that got me so confused :confused:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are three (3) figures given and you will have to identify from among the given choices which one would be the fourth (4th) figure. This is the link of the figure that I was talking about which is Problem Number One (1).

http://i.imgur.com/X3tfXh1.jpg?1

2. Relevant equations
    Three (3) figures are shown. The first (1st) figure shows an encircled hexagram. The second (2nd) figure shows that the two sides of the top triangle was removed. The third (3rd) figure shows that the two sides of the bottom right triangle was removed.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Considering the second (2nd) and the third (3rd) figure, I was thinking that the fourth (4th) figure should be Choice D with a rationale that the disappearance of the two (2) sides of a triangle was occurring in a clockwise direction and skipping the two (2) sides of the triangle next to it.

However, the answer key which was provided to us had the answer to be Choice B (highlighted yellow in the image link) which cancels out my rationale. :frown:

Please help me clear this out guys :cry:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted