Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figure this one out?

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    figure this one out???

why does saturns moon iaeptus have a big wall that bisects it(while it looks like a big ying/yang)???
    just curious how that is even geologically possible at all???
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    As far as i am aware the reason is unknown. It is belived that the dark area is soot/dust swept up by Iaeptus possibly from Phoebe.
  4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    right acrost its equator though... i think not, just think of the sheer probiblity of such an event occuring?? its also rather tall too, just check out these pics.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4
    This article suggests that the moon actually consumed one of Saturn's rings:
  6. Sep 29, 2005 #5

Gold Member

It's just the seam left over from when they put in the caramel centre.
  7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  8. Sep 29, 2005 #7
  9. Oct 2, 2005 #8
    If the moon is rotating very fast it may have driven debris from the rings to it's equator.

Or, fast rotation during a rapid cooldown causing the crust to be crunched into a moutain ring by contraction of the main mass.

I think I like the first guess better.
  10. Oct 4, 2005 #9
    It looks to me like a blast area.

Hypothesis: A large moon in the vicinity exploded from massive internal pressures or perhaps fissioning, the shock and debris hit this hemisphere causing the blackened state and also the ridge. This could also be the cause of the rings.

I believe that there were more explosions in the early solar system. Because of the blackened state of large numbers of asteroids and the several different belts, this would fit with observations. There is reason to believe the solar system may have harboured as many as 12 "actual" original planets.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?