How Do I Solve Basic Force Problems in AP Physics?

• Thread starter benji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, a student is struggling with understanding forces in AP Physics B. They have missed some classes and are having difficulty setting up and solving problems. They ask for help in understanding the problems and their teacher explains the forces involved in two different scenarios and gives tips on setting up equations to solve for the forces. The student then thanks their teacher and expresses the need for more time to study physics.
benji
Alright so I'm in AP Physics B, senior in HS. We've just started on forces and I was gone from a couple class periods and I'm just not getting how to work these problems. They seem easy enough when I read them, but then when I try to put it on paper I just get stumped. So I have a couple problems on my homework that if anyone would be able to tell me how to set it up and what not--I'd really appreciate it.

A student presses a book between his hands. The forces that he exerts on the front and back covers of the book are perpendicular to the book and are horizontal. The book weighs 31 N. The coefficient of static friction between his hands and the book is 0.40. To keep the book from falling, what is the magnitude of the minimum pressing force that each hand must exert?

The speed of a bobsled is increasing, because it has an acceleration of 2.4 m/s/s. At a given instant in time, the forces resisting the motion, including kinetic friction and air resistance, total 450 N. The mass of the bobsled and its riders is 270 kg. (a) What is the magnitude of the force propelling the bobsled forward? (b) What is the magnitude of the net force that acts on the bobsled?

Alright so those are two of the many problems I've been assigned to do, but the others are a lot like these. If you could just tell me how I would go about solving it or setting it up--just pointing me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. If you want to solve it go ahead, an example wouldn't hurt ;) --but by no means am I asking you to do this for me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, let's focus at 1.
Assume that the book is at rest.
Answer the folllowing
1. Which forces must balance in the horizontal direction?
2.Which forces must balance in the vertical direction?

1. The force of friction and the applied force?
2. The force of gravity and the applied force?

...that may be wrong... :-/

If you push horizontally on the book with your two hands, which direction will the forces they generate have?

Well they would be pushing against each other so it would look like this:

-->[]<--

...however, my physics teacher likes the arrows heading away like this:

<--[]-->

...but it really shouldn't matter either way, should it?

I have to leave here in like 10 minutes to class :-/

Well, so what you've just found out is that the forces exerted by your hands on the book are horizontal, and oppositely directed (right?)
In order to have balance in the horizontal direction, they must be equal in magnitude.
The balance in the vertical direction is cause by the two frictional forces and the force of gravity.
You should be able to figure out the trest on your own

So would this look like it's set up correctly to you:

x Fnet = P1 + P2 + Ff = 0
...where P1 is the force of hand 1, P2 is that of hand 2, and Ff is the force of friction. See this is where I get messed up, I can't solve anything from that equation. I know most of the logistics as we just disucssed, but putting it all into an equation and solving for the forces is the tough part for me. I'm sure that equation isn't even set up correctly. Here's my attempt at the Fnet in the y direction:

y Fnet = Fg + (P1 + P2 + Ff) = 0
...where Fg is the force of gravity and you already know the other variables.

THE FORCES OF FRICTION IS VERTICAL; NOT HORIZONTAL!
SO: P1+P2=0 (horizontal)
f1+f2-mg=0
f1,f2 (upwards forces of friction between respective hands and book)

Alright, well thanks for your help arildno--really appreciate it. I have to go to class now, though.

I need to start posting sooner than 45 minutes before class!

That's true; to have time at your disposal is necessary in order to learn physics

1. What is the definition of a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to move, stop, or change direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration, using the equation F=ma.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object's mass.

4. How do you determine the direction of a force?

The direction of a force is determined by the direction in which it is applied or the direction an object is moving in response to the force.

5. What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton, and is represented by the symbol "F".