1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring out angle?

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    figuring out angle???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider 2 points on a graph with coordinates (9.9m,-10m) and (-10m,1.8m)
    the lenght of the line that intersects the two points is equal to 23.135,,, the resulting triangle has measurements of 11.9, 19.9 and 23.135.

What is the angle between the line connecting the 2 points and the x axis. measured counter clockwise. answer in units of degreess

3. The attempt at a solution

when i try to find the cos(a)=11.9/23/135 i get cos(a) = .514

when i get the sin(a)= 19.9/23.135 = .860

my batteries on my graphing calculator just crapped out on me... im not sure what a is equal to in both those equations.. im thinkin they might be diff values unless i am goin crazy
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    ooops nevermind i just got it... they were the same i was calculating with .154.. damn dyslexic habits
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe you meant to say 11.8, not 11.9; also, it appears that the angle you are calculating is with respect to the y axis, but the problem asks for the angle with respect to the x axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?