Figuring Out Angle Between Two Points

• Thread starter anglum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discussed figuring out the angle between the line connecting two points on a graph and the x axis. The resulting triangle had measurements of 11.9, 19.9, and 23.135, and the attempted solution involved finding the cosine and sine of the angle. There was a brief confusion about the values being calculated, but it was resolved. The final answer was not provided.
anglum
figuring out angle?

Homework Statement

consider 2 points on a graph with coordinates (9.9m,-10m) and (-10m,1.8m)
the length of the line that intersects the two points is equal to 23.135,,, the resulting triangle has measurements of 11.9, 19.9 and 23.135.

What is the angle between the line connecting the 2 points and the x axis. measured counter clockwise. answer in units of degreess

The Attempt at a Solution

when i try to find the cos(a)=11.9/23/135 i get cos(a) = .514

when i get the sin(a)= 19.9/23.135 = .860

my batteries on my graphing calculator just crapped out on me... I am not sure what a is equal to in both those equations.. I am thinkin they might be diff values unless i am goin crazy

Physics news on Phys.org
ooops nevermind i just got it... they were the same i was calculating with .154.. damn dyslexic habits

I believe you meant to say 11.8, not 11.9; also, it appears that the angle you are calculating is with respect to the y axis, but the problem asks for the angle with respect to the x axis.

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle between two points?

The formula for calculating the angle between two points is tan-1((y2-y1)/(x2-x1)), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. How do you find the angle between two points using a calculator?

To find the angle between two points using a calculator, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan-1) after dividing the difference in y-coordinates by the difference in x-coordinates. Make sure your calculator is set to the proper angle mode (degrees or radians) before using the formula.

3. What units is the angle between two points typically measured in?

The angle between two points is typically measured in degrees or radians.

4. Can the angle between two points be negative?

Yes, the angle between two points can be negative. This occurs when the line connecting the two points is below the x-axis and the angle is measured in the counterclockwise direction. In this case, the angle will be a negative value in degrees or a value greater than 180 degrees in radians.

5. How can the angle between two points be used in real-world applications?

The angle between two points can be used in various real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and surveying. For example, it can be used to determine the direction in which an object is moving or the orientation of a building or structure. It can also be used to calculate the slope of a line between two points, which is useful in construction and road design.