Figuring Out Angles to Build a Desk

• MHB
  • Thread starter Bsxed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with building a desk and is specifically looking for the angles needed for the support beams and the length of the beam before it needs to be cut. They also mention wanting to know how to solve this problem in the future. Two questions were posed regarding the use of standard 2x4s and the labeling of the horizontal members. The individual clarifies that there are no horizontal members, only diagonal ones, and adds that the desk's height will be 26 inches when completed. They also mention a potential language barrier and the need to adjust construction due to the actual size of 2x4s. The conversation ends with a breakdown of the vertical and horizontal measurements for the support beams and a request to
Bsxed
Trying to build a desk. Have all the standard measurements but having issues figuring out what the angles I need for the support beams I have attached a drawing the blue circles are the angles that I need to figure out. Also I need to know how long my beam has to be before being cut(green line). I don't just want the answer, although it will be appreciated but I also want to know how to solve this problem in the future. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1348950679.251452.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1348950679.251452.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 41
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Two Questions:

1) Are you using standard 2x4s? It's important to note that they aren't really 2" x 4".

2) Your horizontal members are not sufficiently labeled. Are they the same size as the diagonal members?

tkhunny said:
Two Questions:

1) Are you using standard 2x4s? It's important to note that they aren't really 2" x 4".

2) Your horizontal members are not sufficiently labeled. Are they the same size as the diagonal members?
Standard 2x4s and there are no horizontal members just the diagonal I just added the one on the left to show that the desks height will be 26 inches when completed. Thanks for the reply.

There seems to be a small language problem. There are no VERTICAL members. There ARE Horizontal members.

2x4s tend to measure around 1½" x 3½". Sometimes, they are a bit larger. You must adjust your construction unless you are willing to plane to exact.

From your vertical 26", subtract a 2x4 from each end, (2x3.5") leaving 19" for the total Vertical Measurement of the crossed supports.

From your horizontal 18", subtract 2" from each end, leaving 14" for the total Horizontal Measurement of the crossed supports.

Okay, let's stop there and see if you are following.

Edit: I had the horizontal 2x4 turned the wrong direction. It's taller, now.

Last edited:

Hello there,

Building a desk can be a fun and challenging project! It's great that you have all the standard measurements, but it seems like you are having trouble figuring out the angles and length of your support beams. This is a common issue when building furniture, as every project is unique and requires some problem-solving.

To solve this problem, you will need to use some basic geometry principles. Let's start with the angles. The blue circles in your drawing represent the angles that you need to figure out. To determine these angles, you will need to use a protractor. Place the protractor on the corner of the beam where the angle needs to be measured. Then, line up the base line of the protractor with one side of the beam and read the angle where the other side intersects with the protractor. Repeat this process for each of the blue circles in your drawing.

Next, let's talk about the length of your beam. To determine the length, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In your drawing, the green line represents the hypotenuse of a right triangle. So, to find the length of your beam, you will need to measure the length of the other two sides (the sides that are attached to the blue circles) and then use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of the hypotenuse.

Once you have determined the angles and length of your support beams, you can use these measurements to properly cut your beams and assemble your desk. In the future, if you encounter a similar problem, you can use these same principles to solve it.

I hope this helps you in building your desk. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I determine the angle for the desk legs?

The angle for the desk legs can be determined by using a protractor or a digital angle finder. Measure the angle of the surface where the desk will be placed and use this as a reference point. Then, measure the desired height of the desk and use the tangent function (tan) to calculate the angle using the formula: angle = arctan (height/length).

2. What is the standard angle for building desk legs?

The standard angle for building desk legs is 90 degrees. This angle provides a stable and balanced foundation for the desk. However, the angle may vary depending on the design and purpose of the desk.

3. Can I use any angle for building a desk?

Yes, you can use any angle for building a desk. However, it is important to consider the stability and functionality of the desk. The angle should be able to support the weight of the desk and any objects placed on it without wobbling or tipping over.

4. How do I ensure that all the angles for the desk are accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise measuring tools such as a protractor or a digital angle finder. Double check your measurements and calculations before cutting any materials. It may also be helpful to create a mock-up or blueprint of the desk to visualize the angles before building.

5. Do I need to use the same angle for all the legs of the desk?

No, you do not necessarily need to use the same angle for all the legs of the desk. It is common to use different angles for the front and back legs of the desk to provide stability and balance. However, all the angles should work together to create a sturdy and functional desk.