Calculating Torque for an Auger-Powered Ball Pushing Application

• Thread starter ZIG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: So the first step will be to find the natural packing density (and relative positions) of the spheres. (if possible)In summary, the speaker is developing an application with an auger and is seeking to apply 2.5lbs of pressure to .5lb balls that will be pushed up a tube by a DC motor spinning at 1500-1800 RPM. They are looking for a formula or formulas to calculate the torque rating needed for the motor. They also mention a basic drawing of the auger specs and the potential complication of calculating friction based on the size and positioning of the spheres.
ZIG
I am developing an application with an auger (a type of drill bit ) in which this auger will be pushing balls up a tube. The weight of the balls equals about .5 lbs but I would like to have 2.5lbs of pressure applied to them. The auger will be powered by a DC motor and I need to figure out the torque rating needed for this motor to push this kind of weight in inch pounds. The motor needs to spin at 1500-1800 RPM if that is helpful. Does anyone have a formula or formulas for calculating something like this? Attached is a basic drawing of the auger specs and what it looks like. If the image does not show, it is located at www.develonet.com/auger1.GIF[/URL]
Please detail your formula if you have one.
Thanks a ton!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please do not post your question in more than one forum at a time.

- Warren

Depending on the size of the spheres in relation to the passageways within the auger bit this, might get complicated, or not. You might want to read into spherical packing. However, I'm not sure whether the geometry of your problem lends itself well to analysis this way. I'm thinking that this will be the toughest aspect of your problem. If you determined the most likely natural packing arrangement you would be off to a good start, but not out of the woods. I would imagine that (again depending on the size if the spheres) the forces affecting friction in this problem would be pretty scarry to calculate.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. Make sure to use consistent units when calculating torque.

3. What is an auger?

An auger is a tool that is used to drill holes in the ground or in other materials. It consists of a rotating helical screw blade that is attached to a handle or motor, which allows it to penetrate through tough materials.

4. How does an auger produce torque?

An auger produces torque by using the force of the rotating helical blade to push down and penetrate through the material. The longer the blade and the greater the force applied, the more torque is produced.

5. How do you use an auger to figure torque?

To figure torque using an auger, you will need to measure the force applied to the handle or motor and the distance from the axis of rotation to the cutting blade. Then, use the torque formula (torque = force x distance) to calculate the torque produced by the auger. This can be useful for determining the power and efficiency of the auger for different tasks.