Filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem.

In summary: This error is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual errors for V and I. So in summary, when dealing with a filament lamp, use a graphical method to determine the resistance and expect an overall error of around 0.1 mOhms based on the accuracies of your measurements.
karydopita
i have to have my lab report ready in the next 1 hour and i am stuck. in my experiment we had a varied power supply , an ammeter and a voltmetter both with small error (and digital). i have taken about 15 measurements of potential difference and its respective current. the circuit had in one case a resitor and in the other case a filament lamp. the resistor is an easy one as ohm's law is applied so i sketch the graph with my logger pro and take the 1/slope(gradient) to find R. my problem however is when it comes to the filament lamp. i am not sure if i should use a square or a linear or some other fit. also i don't know whatresult from the graph should i use to find resistance if the graph isn't linear. also in a filament lamp which is a non ohmic device can i use R=V/I? please help me out with this one.
in general: can someone help me with finding the resistance of a filament lamp based on the measurements i have take?
and also can someone tell me what the error is when i have +/- 0.01 Volts for potential differnce and +/- 0.1 mA (NOT Amber)?
thank you very much...

Physics news on Phys.org
When dealing with a filament lamp, it is important to note that it is a non-ohmic device, meaning that Ohm's law cannot be applied to calculate its resistance. In order to determine the resistance of the filament lamp, you need to use a graphical method. Using your data points, you can plot the potential difference (V) versus the current (I), and then use a least-squares regression to determine the best fit for the data. Depending on the data points, you may need to use a linear fit, but you may also need to use a higher order polynomial fit. Once you have determined the best fit for the data, you can use the formula for the line of best fit to calculate the resistance of the filament lamp.As for the errors in your measurements, since you are measuring the potential difference (V) with an accuracy of +/- 0.01 Volts and the current (I) with an accuracy of +/- 0.1 mA, you can expect the overall error in the resistance measurement to be around 0.1 mOhms.

1. What is a filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem?

A filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem is an experiment that involves plotting the voltage-current (I/V) characteristics of a filament lamp. This experiment aims to study the relationship between the voltage applied to a filament lamp and the resulting current that flows through it.

2. Why is it important to study the I/V characteristics of a filament lamp?

The I/V characteristics of a filament lamp can provide valuable information about its behavior and efficiency. By studying these characteristics, we can understand how the lamp responds to changes in voltage and current, and how it converts electrical energy into light energy. This information is essential for improving the design and performance of filament lamps.

3. How is the I/V curve of a filament lamp plotted in the lab?

The I/V curve of a filament lamp is plotted by measuring the voltage and current values at different points along the circuit. These values are then plotted on a graph, with voltage on the x-axis and current on the y-axis. The resulting curve is typically non-linear, with an initial steep slope that gradually decreases as the voltage increases.

4. What factors can affect the I/V characteristics of a filament lamp?

The I/V characteristics of a filament lamp can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the lamp, the composition of the filament material, the type of gas inside the lamp, and the voltage applied. Changes in any of these factors can alter the shape and position of the I/V curve.

5. How can the I/V characteristics of a filament lamp be used to determine its resistance?

The resistance of a filament lamp can be calculated using the slope of its I/V curve. The resistance is equal to the ratio of the voltage change (ΔV) to the corresponding current change (ΔI) on the curve. This value can be used to analyze the efficiency and performance of the filament lamp.