Does filament size or resistance affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the filament size of a lightbulb and the wattage. The participants mention that resistance causes the filament to heat up and glow, and therefore a filament with more resistance would have to be smaller. However, there is also information that a larger filament causes the bulb to grow brighter due to the constant voltage and power equation. The conversation also inquires about the role of current in the brightness of the filament.
southern69
Does anyone have a clear understanding on the relationship between the filament size of a lightbulb and the wattage? I was under the impression that resistance causes the filament to heat up and glow, so the more resistance the brighter the light bulb. A filament with more resistance, then, would have to be smaller. However I have read that a larger filament causes a bulb to grow brighter. Is this true, and why?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true, because the wall is in essence a constant voltage source. Given a constant voltage and a purely resistive load (a decent approximation), a filament with half the resistance will allow twice the current through. Because power is V*I, for a constant V and twice the I (current), you will have twice the power.

Thanks. But are you saying that more current causes the filament to glow brighter? If this is true could you please try and explain it to me. (sorry)

google "resistive heating".

What is the relationship between filament size and resistance?

The size of a filament has a direct relationship with its resistance - as the size increases, the resistance also increases. This is because a larger filament has a larger cross-sectional area, which allows for more electrons to flow through it, resulting in a lower resistance.

How does the material of the filament affect its resistance?

The material of the filament also plays a significant role in its resistance. Materials with higher resistivity, such as tungsten, will have a higher resistance compared to materials with lower resistivity, like copper. Therefore, the material of the filament can impact its resistance even if the size remains constant.

Can the resistance of a filament change over time?

Yes, the resistance of a filament can change over time due to factors such as temperature, stress, and exposure to certain gases. For example, as a filament is heated, its resistance will increase due to the increase in thermal energy causing an increase in electron collisions.

How does the length of a filament affect its resistance?

The length of a filament also has a direct relationship with its resistance - as the length increases, the resistance also increases. This is because a longer filament will have a higher resistance due to the increase in distance electrons must travel to flow through it.

How can I calculate the resistance of a filament?

The resistance of a filament can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You can measure the voltage and current of the filament using a multimeter and then use the equation R=V/I to calculate the resistance. Alternatively, you can also use the formula R=pL/A, where p is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the filament, and A is the cross-sectional area.