1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filament size and resistance

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    Does anyone have a clear understanding on the relationship between the filament size of a lightbulb and the wattage? I was under the impression that resistance causes the filament to heat up and glow, so the more resistance the brighter the light bulb. A filament with more resistance, then, would have to be smaller. However I have read that a larger filament causes a bulb to grow brighter. Is this true, and why?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

cjl

It is true, because the wall is in essence a constant voltage source. Given a constant voltage and a purely resistive load (a decent approximation), a filament with half the resistance will allow twice the current through. Because power is V*I, for a constant V and twice the I (current), you will have twice the power.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    Thanks. But are you saying that more current causes the filament to glow brighter? If this is true could you please try and explain it to me. (sorry)

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

google "resistive heating".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook