1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

File Extensions

1. May 4, 2003 #1
    Hi guys. I have a question about file extensions.

For example, if you create a .txt file, windows seems to know automatically that it is a file that can be opened by notepad or wordpad. It gives it a specific icon, and opens it inside notepad or wordpad.

If I wanted to create a program that saved data in a file extension like .psh (my initials) I know I can do it. But exactly what do I need to code to make windows regonise the extension and give the file a particlular icon, and open up it up in my program etc?

I guess one obvious thing is that my program must be able to recognise the file type and "decode" it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2003 #2
    You need to add the filetype into the registry, which keeps track of that stuff. If you go into Tools->Folder Options->File Types you can browse the associations and enter it manually. If you want your program to do it, use the Registry API functions and put the info in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -- you can browse with regedit to see how it's structured, or there are plenty of online tutorials and code snippets.

4. May 5, 2003 #3
    Thanx for the info Damgo.

Once this session is over at uni I'll have to take a look around the net for some tutorials on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?