Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

File income tax for past years?

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    I have a W-2 from 2007 which I never filed for an income tax refund... is it still possible to file this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2
  4. Jan 17, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If this will decrease your tax liability (i.e. you will get a refund) it is too late. You have three years. If this will increase your tax liability, you need a tax professional pronto.

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Even if it would reduce your tax liability, the penalty of not filing for three years may mean you owe. Either way, you're better off filing: The IRS is slow, but they'll eventually get you.

6. Jan 18, 2013 #5
    I agree with Russ. You can only evade the IRS for so long. Eventually they will want their money and you'll likely pay stiff interest penalties. Best to call up a CPA and find out what your options are.

7. Jan 18, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you live or work in a state with state tax, definitely seek advice, even if you don't owe the IRS, you may still owe state tax, and I hear the state tax auditors make the IRS look like your best friend.

8. Jan 18, 2013 #7
    I wouldn't owe them anything, but thanks for the advice. I was a dependent at the time, and I'm the one owed money, but I guess it's too late for that. Silly 17 year old me. :)

9. Jan 19, 2013 #8

Borg

Gold Member

If you were claimed as a dependant on your parent's return, you couldn't file separately anyway.

10. Jan 19, 2013 #9
    This is not correct. He could file, he just couldn't claim himself as a dependent.

11. Jan 19, 2013 #10

Borg

Gold Member

Oops. :blushing:

12. Jan 19, 2013 #11
    You needn't be embarrassed, it's a common misspelling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook